Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36er Tire Pressure?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 36er Tire Pressure?

    So, I have a UDC Titan with a Nimbus Nightrider tire. I'm a big guy at about 230 lbs. The tire is rated 40-65 pounds. I'm riding it on the street. I started with the tire pressure at about 45 pounds and have taken it up to 50 pounds of pressure. I'm wondering what kind of pressure folks generally use in a 36er tire on the street. I guess I'm curious about what folks who muni on a 36 think is a good pressure for that as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

  • #2
    Originally posted by MTUni View Post
    So, I have a UDC Titan with a Nimbus Nightrider tire. I'm a big guy at about 230 lbs. The tire is rated 40-65 pounds. I'm riding it on the street. I started with the tire pressure at about 45 pounds and have taken it up to 50 pounds of pressure. I'm wondering what kind of pressure folks generally use in a 36er tire on the street. I guess I'm curious about what folks who muni on a 36 think is a good pressure for that as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    I have always used 32psi in my 36er tires, no matter what tire Iíve used. Iím roughly ranked 3rd in the world for long distance racing.

    corbin
    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
    maestro8 fan club
    Justin LE fan club

    Comment


    • #3
      I kept the Nightrider at 25-30 psi for mixed surface riding. I would go down to 20 psi if headed to the trail and up to 40 psi for pure paved rides.

      Comment


      • #4
        I use 40psi in all my unicycles.

        Having recently got my first 36er, a quax, I've been running that at 40psi. It's got the TA tyre which states 32 psi max, but, to now, no issues with it at 40psi.
        "You can't outrun Death forever.
        But you can make the Bastard work for it."

        --MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
        "Last of The Lancers"
        AFC 32

        Comment


        • #5
          I use 30 psi in the night rider tyre.I feel that lower tyre pressure provides better traction ie better adhesive friction which stops the wheel from running out from under me. I find the lower pressure also reduces side to side oscillation of the wheel providing a lot more stability. I also think a softer tyre will conform better to road cambre.

          Take it easy!!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm currently using 55lbs with a nightrider tyre. I used to use around 35lbs, great for strait line riding but cornering was pants.
            Facebook
            Website

            Comment


            • #7
              Overcoming the inertia of the 36er wheel, especially on mount, seems easier when I max out the Nightrider psi. For my smaller wheels, I kept the pressure low to counter twitchiness--not a problem with the giant 36.

              Comment


              • #8
                Why ride on the streets when you ride muni

                20psi tubeless is all you need, for muni.

                So is any running a 36er tubeless for road at high pressures?

                I'm curious if the blow out risk is reduced. I haven't had a blow out at speed, but I have flatted on trails and had the muni squirt out from under me, can be very disconcerting and bruising to the shins!
                I dream of hamsters and elderberries

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hope it's not too much of a sidebar, but how do you like your Titan? I'm curious...

                  If it's too far off topic, just ignore me.
                  "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Killian-


                    I am writting this with my phone and I can't figure out how to get the link to the other thread, but I posted a thread about a week ago withe the title "first weekend with a 36" where I wrote up my impressions of the Titan. I like it. But I don't have anything to compare with.
                    Last edited by MTUni; 2013-03-06, 04:10 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nightrider sluggishness and tire pressure

                      When I first got my 36" Nightrider, I was having a really hard time pedaling uphill on a paved road here in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. If I had an UPD, there was no way to get back on it, and I was beginning to think I would never have the strength to go uphill.

                      Had a Eureka moment, and raised the tire pressure to just over 45 p.s.i. and it made an incredible difference. All of a sudden the uni was a different creature altogether. I could take those hills without trouble at all. The drag on a wheel that big with low pressure is pretty significant.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by corbin View Post
                        I have always used 32psi in my 36er tires, no matter what tire Iíve used. Iím roughly ranked 3rd in the world for long distance racing.

                        corbin
                        The obvious question being, what pressures do #1 and #2 ride?
                        My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NYC1WLR View Post
                          When I first got my 36" Nightrider, I was having a really hard time pedaling uphill on a paved road here in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. If I had an UPD, there was no way to get back on it, and I was beginning to think I would never have the strength to go uphill.

                          Had a Eureka moment, and raised the tire pressure to just over 45 p.s.i. and it made an incredible difference. All of a sudden the uni was a different creature altogether. I could take those hills without trouble at all. The drag on a wheel that big with low pressure is pretty significant.
                          Give it a try at 60 to 65 psi. I weigh about 175 lbs and notice a huge difference between 45 and 60 psi. At the higher pressure it rolls much freer, is easier to make sharp turns and camber has less effect on the tire. Here is a video I did on the tire pressure effect on camber.


                          Jim

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I run 58psi in my Nightrider Lite tire and ride at least 50 miles a week on the road.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
                              The obvious question being, what pressures do #1 and #2 ride?
                              Martin Charrier (France) is currently #1, and maybe was in 2013 as well? I don't know about him, but in general I find the fast riders like a lot of air. Naturally it's less friction, and it may also make the uni easier to handle.

                              Originally posted by JimT View Post
                              Give it a try at 60 to 65 psi. I weigh about 175 lbs and notice a huge difference between 45 and 60 psi.
                              I should try that. I don't think I've ever gone over 45 or so, but always feel the tire is too sensitive to camber when I'm going fast(ish; I don't go that fast).

                              I will generally let a little air out for dirt riding, but as always, the general rule is to keep your rim off the ground. The chunkier the trail, the more air you have to keep in there.
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

                              "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X