Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world's second best unicycle seat (for tightwads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new ride arrived about a month ago and it came with the Nimbus Gel saddle. It was pretty uncomfortable so I flattened it today.

Before starting:

The base after disassembly:

After flattening:

I tweaked the seatpost mounting plate to match the new base shape:

And the saddle back together. It actually ended up with a bit more curved than I expected, which I'm assuming is due to the foam shape. I didn't shape the foam at all other than to add a slight channel down the top center.

After riding it post-modification I'm calling it a success. It's much more comfortable and doesn't present any control problems. I also find it much easier to change position while riding.

I'll probably just get a Zero saddle with my next uni to save the hassle, but since I wasn't going to continue using the Nimbus gel in its stock shape it was worth trying. I'm happy with the results and I'll keep using it.
    Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

• water or oven ?

I've read the whole tread
      For those who have used both system which one you suggest?
      Ben went from boiling to oven for his mass production, so it seems to me that it works better
      My wife gave me only one shot to try and I don't want to miss it
      Going to flat a cheap lidl saddle.

Comment

• As the OP who suggested boiling, I'm going to be using the oven for my next one (I have a zero on my g29 roadie, but still prefer the flattened one on my muni). Has the advantage of higher temperature (100/212 is probably only just about hot enough and a little hotter would be better) and less likely to have an issue with space - I still don't have a pan big enough to fit a whole saddle base in. Just need to be careful about spot heating where the saddle is resting.

I went with boiling for my original try because I knew it would be safe and not overheat the base, and found it worked! Was a bit wary of putting it in the oven.

Nice tip above regarding tweaking the seatpost to fit the saddle - the only trouble is that presumably you can't now adjust the saddle position? Anyway I've now broken a seatpost at the weld and will be using the top bit bolted in place to retain the shape there. Should really get on with it, as i have all the bits ready to go now for a nice custom saddle (new base, Naomi foam and cover).
        Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

• Originally posted by spottyh725 View Post
          I've read the whole tread
          For those who have used both system which one you suggest?
          Ben went from boiling to oven for his mass production, so it seems to me that it works better
          My wife gave me only one shot to try and I don't want to miss it
          Going to flat a cheap lidl saddle.
          I boiled my first one, which didn't take and needed to be redone after a few weeks. I used the oven the second time and the shape stuck. I used the oven on 2 or 3 more after that, one of which I over cooked and ruined. I think I either had it turned up too high or on the wrong setting. The oven works better than boiling, it does require your full attention as too much heat will destroy the saddle base, it also doesn't smell very good.

Comment

• The last one I did, I used a heat gun. That also works. YMMV, so be careful and go slow. I also wrecked one in the oven.
            "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• I'm not able to order them properly
              - original seat - used a KH instead
              - in the owen (100 15 min)
              - clamp self made
              - saddle flattened
              - final result (in the 20" - the 26" was done years ago.
              the 16" is for my kids, if they'll ever start learning

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200323_084737.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2802830​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200322_174656.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2802831 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_153054.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2802834 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200321_164102.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2802833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200323_084958.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2802832

Comment

• Tightwad? I think that should also be extended to mean "no extra effort".
                Try this guys/gals:
                1.) Just get a small towel and fold it a few times, so it creates 1/2 to 1" of "crushed" thickness.
                2.) Put in on your saddle.
                3.) Sit, freemount and go!!!

Now, all of a sudden I don't have to "change" into my bike shorts. Just drop a towel sit and ride with your normal short or jeans.
                It won't slip out until you fall or dismount. Don't forget to adjust your saddle height for the new height. Yes, it makes a difference.
                Give it a try and it's cheap/easy.
                Last edited by slamdance; 2020-03-28, 05:41 PM. Reason: Optional

Comment

• Originally posted by slamdance View Post
                  Tightwad? I think that should also be extended to mean "no extra effort".
                  Try this guys/gals:
                  1.) Just get a small towel and fold it a few times, so it creates 1/2 to 1" of "crushed" thickness.
                  2.) Put in on your saddle.
                  3.) Sit, freemount and go!!!

Now, all of a sudden I don't have to "change" into my bike shorts. Just drop a towel sit and ride with your normal short or jeans.
                  It won't slip out until you fall or dismount. Don't forget to adjust your saddle height for the new height. Yes, it makes a difference.
                  Give it a try and it's cheap/easy.
                  I wear bike shorts as my standard casual attire, so to use your method I would need to make the extra effort to change into jeans every time I went for a ride.
                  Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Working...
                  X