Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biped
    replied
    I've had the Big Apple and Marathon Supreme both blow off my 47mm KH 29er rim. The uni was in a room adjacent to our front door. The wife and I were in the living room... we thought a home invasion was in progress.

I started with the BA but found the road crown issues to be an issue. The MS is much better at handling the crown.

Either tire will hold the rim at low pressure, but will blow off the rim at "normal" pressure. It's been a while since these tires have been mounted so I can't quantify "normal", probably anything above 40psi.

One day I'll get a narrow rim and build a new wheel for road riding. It's low priority since I do most road riding on a 36er. I have a KH rim with a nice Bontrager 'tweener tire I bought at a muni fest that I use for XC.

I just built a 65mm LM light wheel and stuck a 3.5" Vee Speedster. It's a great tire to hop on (like jumping on a bed) but will take some time before I can say I can ride it in a straight line. I haven't tested it off pavement yet.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Halo Twin Rail is great I've had some quality-related issues with mine but I've seen others online who have ridden them for 2 years or more and they've stayed working. Just be warned, it's a very heavy tyre. But if you pump it up hard, you can ride purely on the two 'rail' things and it'll feel like a skinny for the road!

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    The narrow rim is great, you just can't run maggies. On this particular unicycle, I'm using maggies and really don't want to rebuild the wheel (schlumpfed).

The Dyad/Marathon combo has been excellent and problem free.

Leave a comment:

• Vertigo
    replied
    Sorry I don't have an answer to your query but how's the Marathon Supreme / Velocity Dyad combo on your 29" Road unicycle? I'm interested because I have a Big Apple on a Dominator Rim. So far [knock on wood] I've had no problems with it blowing off but I always keep these incidents in mind. I wonder if the BA would be better on narrower rim. Not sure what would be the best one. But it seems like you no longer want a narrower rim.

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    Meh, I just got a Halo twin rail. Hopefully it stays the hell on.

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    Still haven't found a good solution to this problem. I have a 2.0 big apple on a kh xc rim that blew off at about 50ish psi. I just don't trust it now. Is there a good tire in the 2.3 range? I'd get the bigger big apple but I'm concerned with the auto steer.
    Last edited by Killian; 2014-12-29, 03:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pstrick
    replied
    Originally posted by HudsonAktau View Post
    I was looking for road and XC tire (our XC is sand, small stones and small bushes). Stopped on Big Apple 29x2.35 on my KH Freeride rim.
    Now some scary facts:

I bought Foss tube and installed with Big Apple in the evening (this was first time I got new Big Apple tire on) about 4AM it blows soooo loud.
    Yeah- when mine blew off my rim with a foss tube it was so loud I thought someone shot a gun in the house!
    Last edited by pstrick; 2014-10-02, 04:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HudsonAktau
    replied
    I was looking for road and XC tire (our XC is sand, small stones and small bushes). Stopped on Big Apple 29x2.35 on my KH Freeride rim.
    Now some scary facts:

I bought Foss tube and installed with Big Apple in the evening (this was first time I got new Big Apple tire on) about 4AM it blows soooo loud. Took off tire from rim:

In the morning I was going for the ride so I replaced blown Foss tube with regular one and went. From then - everything is perfect.
    Riding about 3Bar - it bouncing very good and rolling resistance is very low.

Love this tire!

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    To anyone that is looking for a good road tire for a wide 29er rim, I saw that Maxxis makes a 29x2.5 Hookworm. The Hookworm has an *excellent* track record among unicyclists and would be the tire IMO if you have a 42+mm tire.

Leave a comment:

• pstrick
    replied
    Originally posted by song View Post
    ...though someone told me the fatter tire would be one of those ones that on a cambered road would make me dance the Twist to go in a straight line. That's not a huge problem on a 20, but on a 29, it would be very annoying.
    I can attest to the 2.35" Big Apple having a problem with road crown on my 26er. The 2" on my 42mm Dominator rim on the 29er as I previously posted hasn't been a problem at all.

Leave a comment:

• song
    replied
    The Big Apple 29 x 2.0 tire I've got on a 42mm rim has not given me any trouble at all, whether at 25 psi or at slightly above the recommended maximum of 70 psi. I once rode an identical Nimbus road uni with a 2.35 Big Apple, and it was nice, too, giving a slightly larger wheel diameter and, I suppose, better possibilities for hopping, though someone told me the fatter tire would be one of those ones that on a cambered road would make me dance the Twist to go in a straight line. That's not a huge problem on a 20, but on a 29, it would be very annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Mutaito
    replied
    Schwalbe Big apple is a difficult tire to fit on the 47mm rims;
    I have one and it's running good, but I'm very light (55kg) and i use two KH wide and thick rim tapes between tube and rim.

On a 42mm rim will probably be a reliable choice.

Take also a look at the Maxxis Grifter 29" tires, it comes in 2" and 2.5" size.
    I have one on my KH 20" flatland uni and I love it

Leave a comment:

• pstrick
    replied
    Originally posted by Killian View Post
    Thought I'd throw this in just to clarify my fears. Top of second page, tire blowing off 42mm rim.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...t=93481&page=2
    I am the poster in the thread referenced above, and I am happy to say that I have had many, many happy miles on my 29er Oracle with the Schwalbe Big Apple tire (2"), and went on to replace it with a new one after wearing the first one out. I ride it with some pretty high pressures (50psi) and found the road crown to be not too much a problem. I think the issue with the tire blowing off related to my inexperience with a Foss tube and my not having been careful to assess proper tire bead seating after the initial inflation of the tire before pumping up to higher pressures. I whole-heartedly recommend the Big Apple.
    Last edited by pstrick; 2014-09-30, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bwrightback
    replied
    Originally posted by UPD View Post
    Nice! That looks just like the soft ground I would ride on. I like the wideness. Looks like a winning combo when half the time I'm on hard ground.

I wouldnt mind getting a 3.0 tire on my 29er. I dont think they exist, dont know why...
    There aren't a lot of options for the 29x3.0 tires. I have the Knard, but I really want to try something fatter on my 29". And I would love a fat slick 29er one of these days...

Leave a comment:

• UPD
    replied
    Originally posted by bwrightback View Post
    Here's a road tire for a fat rim

Nice! That looks just like the soft ground I would ride on. I like the wideness. Looks like a winning combo when half the time I'm on hard ground.

I wouldnt mind getting a 3.0 tire on my 29er. I dont think they exist, dont know why...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X