Nimbus Oracle 36 vs Kris Holm 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimbus Oracle 36 vs Kris Holm 36

I am considering purchasing a 36er down the road sometime, but I don't know what the difference is between the kris holm and the oracle. What are some thoughts\opinions about the two.
    Last edited by Shmolagin; 2013-01-13, 02:48 AM.

The oracle comes standard with a disc brake. That alone seperates the two by quite a bit. Not sure off the top of my head how much more the oracle costs, but a brake is a nice feature to have.

Comment

Quite a few things have changed in the last few years but the basics are still the same.

Here is a thread from 2008 you might find helpful.

The Oracle is an updated Nightrider.

Both are great high-end 36ers each with their own strengths.
      My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
        Quite a few things have changed in the last few years but the basics are still the same.

Here is a thread from 2008 you might find helpful.

The Oracle is an updated Nightrider.

Both are great high-end 36ers each with their own strengths.
        But what are their own strengths?

Comment

Did you read the linked thread?

EDIT: er sorry, just looked at the Oracle. it is NOT an updated Nightrider. I am not all that familiar with that particular frames pros and cons.
          Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2013-01-13, 03:34 AM.
          My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

reading the comparison on UDC this is how I would break it down

Saddle: Both have new style KH base, Nimbus would be slimmer and firmer, KH would be a bit flatter. I like the new KH Freeride saddle.

Seat Post: KH is 27.2, Nimbus is 25.4. It doesn't make a huge difference. 25.4 might be a bit more popular (more interchangeable with other brands, eg: you could use a Coker pi bar) but the 27.2 size is a bit stronger and resists twisting a bit better.

Clamp: KH has a standard double bolt clamp. nothing special. Nimbus has the new double quick release clamp. The double quick release is new and funky, and should work well. Nimbus wins this one.

Frame: The KH is tried and true lightweight and stiff aluminum frame with both Magura and disk brake mounts. Standard 100mm bearing spacing means it will work with a Schlumpf hub if you ever want to get one.

The Nimbus frame is a relative unknown but Nimbus has a reputation for quality. 127 bearing spacing and no brake mounts (but comes with cable guides and a D-brake adaptor/mount.)

Wheel: KH is standard symmetrical 100mm ISIS hub with CroMo spindle. Very strong. Nimbus has 127mm (superwide, but asymmetrical) disk hub with aluminum spindle. Both have the same spokes and rim. I give the KH the edge for strength.

Tube and tire: both use the same tire, the Nimbus comes with a Foss tube which gives it an edge.

Cranks: The KH comes with the new Spirit dual hole disk cranks. Nimbus comes with Venture 2 cranks. The increased flare of the KH cranks brings the pedal position very close to the Nimbus with the superwide hub but "zero Q" cranks. I give the KH two points for strength and flexibility of the double hole cranks.

Pedals: Both are OK, you would probably replace them with your favourite anyway.

Brake: KH has the mounts for whatever you want to put on it but the Oracle already comes with a decent hydro disk setup. Nimbus wins this one, though I prefer a solid mount over the D'brake setup.
            Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2013-01-13, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Nice summary. As the designer of one of the two in question I won't wade in on this one, except to add - do you want to have the option of using a geared hub at some point. If so, the KH36 is the only one compatible, because it retains the 100 mm bearing standard. As for a disc brake as an option, it's a matter of preference. It could be included; so far I've kept it as an option so that riders have a choice of model.
              Last edited by danger_uni; 2013-01-13, 04:55 AM.

Comment

uni

i currently have a nimbus 20inch trials unicycle (oreo)
                but i would like to get a KH mountain unicycle when i get older...maybe a 26 inch

And you thought 2 wheels were hard!

Comment

Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
                  reading the comparison on UDC this is how I would break it down

Saddle: Both have new style KH base, Nimbus would be slimmer and firmer, KH would be a bit flatter. I like the new KH Freeride saddle.

Seat Post: KH is 27.2, Nimbus is 25.4. It doesn't make a huge difference. 25.4 might be a bit more popular (more interchangeable with other brands, eg: you could use a Coker pi bar) but the 27.2 size is a bit stronger and resists twisting a bit better.

Clamp: KH has a standard double bolt clamp. nothing special. Nimbus has the new double quick release clamp. The double quick release is new and funky, and should work well. Nimbus wins this one.

Frame: The KH is tried and true lightweight and stiff aluminum frame with both Magura and disk brake mounts. Standard 100mm bearing spacing means it will work with a Schlumpf hub if you ever want to get one.

The Nimbus frame is a relative unknown but Nimbus has a reputation for quality. 127 bearing spacing and no brake mounts (but comes with cable guides and a D-brake adaptor/mount.)

Wheel: KH is standard symmetrical 100mm ISIS hub with CroMo spindle. Very strong. Nimbus has 127mm (superwide, but asymmetrical) disk hub with aluminum spindle. Both have the same spokes and rim. I give the KH the edge for strength.

Tube and tire: both use the same tire, the Nimbus comes with a Foss tube which gives it an edge.

Cranks: The KH comes with the new Spirit dual hole disk cranks. Nimbus comes with Venture 2 cranks. The increased flare of the KH cranks brings the pedal position very close to the Nimbus with the superwide hub but "zero Q" cranks. I give the KH two points for strength and flexibility of the double hole cranks.

Pedals: Both are OK, you would probably replace them with your favourite anyway.

Brake: KH has the mounts for whatever you want to put on it but the Oracle already comes with a decent hydro disk setup. Nimbus wins this one, though I prefer a solid mount over the D'brake setup.
                  Thanks a lot this is exactly what I was looking for. I think that I will probably go with the KH unless I can get a good deal on a used nimbus.

Comment

Originally posted by danger_uni View Post
                    Nice summary. As the designer of one of the two in question I won't wade in on this one, except to add - do you want to have the option of using a geared hub at some point. If so, the KH36 is the only one compatible, because it retains the 100 mm bearing standard. As for a disc brake as an option, it's a matter of preference. It could be included; so far I've kept it as an option so that riders have a choice of model.
                    Cool! Kris Holm commented on my thread!

It looks like your Uni is better, so I will probably go with it. I was leaning toward it before but it really does appear better. (I don't have the money currently, but I will eventually.)

Yes it is possible that I might want to put a geared hub on it eventually, but I don't know where to buy one in the U.S.A. Is there a reason that Unicycle.com for the United States doesn't sell the Schlumpf hubs? Is there any other spot that I could purchase one using USD?

Comment

I say to get the KH36.

One thing that isn't mentioned: the KH36 is compatible with the Schlumpf geared hub.

corbin

EDIT: Eric did cover that too!
                      Last edited by corbin; 2013-01-14, 07:54 PM.
                      http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
                      maestro8 fan club
                      Justin LE fan club

Comment

Originally posted by Shmolagin View Post
                        Thanks a lot this is exactly what I was looking for. I think that I will probably go with the KH unless I can get a good deal on a used nimbus.

With how long these unis have been out, just a few months for the oracle, I think you'll be lucky to find one secondhand so soon

You're much more likely to find a 2nd hand KH or other nimbus 36er

As has been said, not much in it, both are quality unis

Comment

The nimbus has a hub mounted disc rotor, which means you can use any cranks with the disc brakes. If you want discs on the kh you have to use crank mounts rotor, so you are stuck with the expensive spirit cranks.
                          KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
                          Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
                          Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

Comment

Or a Mountainuni Disc

Or with a Mountainuni Disc Kit with UCM.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Others have complained of wheel stability on the KH w/ the big wheel, but the wider flanges of the geared hub mostly solved that.

Considering this if I knew I was going to put in a geared hub and soon, the KH. If I knew I didn't want a geared hub or only slightly considering it I'd get the Oracle.
                              Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
                              If you want discs on the kh you have to use crank mounts rotor, so you are stuck with the expensive spirit cranks.
                              Yes the KH cranks are a bit expensive in comparison to the Ventures, but look at some mtb cranks, they make the Spirits look cheap.

Edit: the flange spacing is narrower than a normal ultra wide hub (used for 36ers) so maybe it's the same as the KH? In Nimbuses defense I haven't heard of any wheel stability issues on their other Oracles (all w/ a narrower flange spacing)
                              Last edited by skilewis74; 2013-01-15, 05:04 AM.
                              Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What's next?
                              Learn2Ride&doTricks
                              TrialsClasses&Building

Comment

Working...
                              X