• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krjames
    replied
    Originally posted by SalManilla View Post
    Took a short ride to test out my GoPro.
    Shelton Loop - YouTube
    Nice ride, wish I could ride in country like that.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    Love my leg armor.

Last month I rushed out of the house for a ride without my leg armor and received a nice gash in my calf from the peddle. Since then I have made sure that I always have my leg armor with me and today I'm really glad that I did. I had a UPD where I went off the back. My uni shot out in front of me, and as it did the right peddle came around and struck my leg in the same spot as before. It smart at the time, but the pain went away and there's no sign of bruising.

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    Took a short ride to test out my GoPro.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recw0Mmg0YA&feature=player_detailpage"]Shelton Loop - YouTube[/ame]

Leave a comment:

• aracer
    replied
    You lot have all those of us in the UK really feeling for you. How awful it must be to have to cope with hot weather in the summer. We only get rain, so no problems with overheating or dust clouds on the trails

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I don't understand this statement

Was there a forest fire, do fiends chase you with flame throwers, are you actually located on the planet Venus?

You California folks are spoiled! Try riding in high heat AND humidity, that'll make a man outta' ya'

Have you tried riding at night? One of the nice things about living where there is low humidity is that once the sun goes down, the temps drop, so learning to ride with a light can increase your ride time during the summer. I ride with a powerful li io headlamp, 900 lumens, the battery pack rests in my Camelbak, the light mounts on my helmet. The light is bright enough to see obstacles, though it tends to make it flat (2D), so I ride slower and stick to trails I know.

Out here, in the "jungle", lower temps mean higher humidity, so it's a Catch 22 for us. I mix it up, sometimes I ride during the hottest part of the day to skip the high humidity, so then I just bake, then there are times (like tonight) when I go ride after work when temps are dropping and I get to ride in air so thick you can cut it

Don't you ride anywhere that has trees? Man, I don't think I could ride without trees, I mean how else would I mount my uni

Oh, and happy universary!
    I just simply hate the heat. I grew up close the the beach and have never been able to acclimate to the temps that we get in this area during the summer.

I do have lights. I just have not attempted a night Muni ride yet. With my bike I run one light low and one on my helmet. The reason for one low is throw shadows where there are low spots that a higher helmet light fills in. And the helmet light gives light wherever I look. This helps to eliminate the 2D problem.

As for trees, well, we do have a few. Here and there. If I make an hour drive up the hill to Big Bear there is some great riding trails and fire roads among some big, beautiful pine trees. In fact, this Saturday I'm taking the family up there and we'll be riding the lift at Snow Summit and cruising the trails and roads with our mtn. bikes. If we can fit the unis we'll take them up as well.

Leave a comment:

• Nurse Ben
    replied
    First morning in five days that it has been cool enough to ride.
    I don't understand this statement

Was there a forest fire, do fiends chase you with flame throwers, are you actually located on the planet Venus?

You California folks are spoiled! Try riding in high heat AND humidity, that'll make a man outta' ya'

Have you tried riding at night? One of the nice things about living where there is low humidity is that once the sun goes down, the temps drop, so learning to ride with a light can increase your ride time during the summer. I ride with a powerful li io headlamp, 900 lumens, the battery pack rests in my Camelbak, the light mounts on my helmet. The light is bright enough to see obstacles, though it tends to make it flat (2D), so I ride slower and stick to trails I know.

Out here, in the "jungle", lower temps mean higher humidity, so it's a Catch 22 for us. I mix it up, sometimes I ride during the hottest part of the day to skip the high humidity, so then I just bake, then there are times (like tonight) when I go ride after work when temps are dropping and I get to ride in air so thick you can cut it

Don't you ride anywhere that has trees? Man, I don't think I could ride without trees, I mean how else would I mount my uni

Oh, and happy universary!

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    This morning's ride was fairly level, so I decided to try riding with my peddles in the 125mm hole for the first time. It took me 5 attempts to mount but I managed, and getting down my street to the corner was a bit of a challenge. After about a 1/4 mile or so I started getting comfortable and was able to crank out a max speed of 10mph on level dirt horse trail. It took me two attempts to get back up my street which usually is no problem. I love having the option of two peddle positions and I will definitely take advantage it.

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Byc View Post
    ...Haven't met any other unicyclers so far, but i'm looking forward to some rides this autumn/fall...
    Byc
    I too haven't met any other Muni riders in the area. There are a couple of other dads at our circus that have been working at learning to ride who would like to some day join me on the trails. So I'll just have to be patient for now. I do however have my girls to ride with and they are, by far, my favorite riding partners.
    Last edited by SalManilla; 2012-08-29, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Byc
    replied
    Happy anniversary SalManilla!

Thanks for sharing the pics and the story about the beginnings of your unicycle career.
    i myself started about two years ago and when i searched the internet for unicycles quickly found out about munis and last christmas i bought one second hand.
    Haven't met any other unicyclers so far, but i'm looking forward to some rides this autumn/fall.

Greetings

Byc

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    Took a ride this morning in the South Hills Preserve up behind Hulda Crooks Park in Loma Linda, CA. It was the first time in several years that I have been over there. The weather warmed up early and added an additional challenge to the ride, but I didn't let it stop me (although I did need to take several rest breaks). I managed to clean a couple of fun single track sections, and made it through some sandy areas without any UPD's.

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    First morning in five days that it has been cool enough to ride. I got out for a quick street ride. Totaled 3.5 miles. I made it to the turn around point without stopping , and I had only 1 upd on the way back. I had planned on trying out the 125mm peddle position, but I left the house without my peddle wrench. I felt like I could have gone further, but I just didn't have the time.

Leave a comment:

• Alucard
    replied
    Happy Uni-versary SalManilla

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    My 1 year uni-versary

Well it's now been a year since I started riding unicycles and it's been a thrill. When my kids took up unicycling a couple of years ago I had no idea that there were a bunch of crazy people out there doing things on unicycles other that riding around in circles on a gym floor or playground. Then one day I overheard two of my girls instructors talking about this guy named Kris Holm and I decided to google him, with that a whole new world opened up to me. Being a long time mountain biker I was immediately intrigued. I swore to myself that I was going to learn to ride, and within a year I would be municycling in our local mountains, and I am writing to say I made that goal.

It is a great sport. Fun, challenging, and an incredible workout. Every time I ride I am amazed that I am doing it. I can't help but smile as I ride as I cannot believe that I am balanced on only one wheel and riding off pavement over rocks, roots, sticks, etc. Best of all it has given my girls and I something that we can do together. Something that they were interested in and have been able to share and teach this old dog a some new tricks.

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    I was able to get away from my work for a bit and join a group of campers headed out on a mountain bike ride. We did a small 2 mile loop and I dismounted only 4 times. 3 to rest and 1 UPD. The kids had never seen a Muni and were blown away that I could ride with them. I'll have to be sure to plan more rides with them.

Leave a comment:

• SalManilla
    replied
    My work is keeping me very busy these days. Only one week before we start our summer with kids in the camp.

I spent Memorial Day weekend at camp and had a chance to do a bit of riding. Woke up to snow on Saturday, not much, just a light dusting. Made for a fun ride. Forgot to take a camera with me, so I'll just have to post pictures of some other ride after I get settled at camp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X