Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stillup View Post
    48 just a spring chicken...
    Yep! You're right about that William. I've got many more years to go and I plan on being active the whole time.

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
    Wow William!
    Are you saying you only started unicycling in May of this year and you are already cycling all those miles. That's Brill.
    Sal I do so envy you being able to idle, my legs just don't have the strength
    It's great reading some of the threads and reading how people are progressing.
    Well done everyone.
    Elaine
    I second that Alucard! That's some serious mileage that William is putting in. Very impressive!

My progress has come to a standstill this past week, and may have even regressed a bit. I have been having a trouble with mounting and I feel extremely unstable while riding. Also my distances have shortened. Everyone has an off day or week and I know this will pass, so I'll just keep peddling.
    Last edited by SalManilla; 2011-10-12, 03:00 PM.
    "Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions."
    -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SalManilla View Post
      Everyone has an off day or week and I know this will pass, so I'll just keep peddling.
      That's the spirit, quitters never win!!!!!!!
      Why yes, I am a Christian on a unicycle. Thank you for noticing.

Comment

A good week!

Well as the title above says, It's been a good week. I think last I was just fatigued. We did a lot of running around and it took it's toll in my body. But got some rest and this week I have seen some improvements again. I recovered my ability to mount and my distance increased. I'm doing well at mounting/idling/riding, but have not been able to idle after coming to a stop. I've also been able to relax more as I ride and my arms aren't flailing around so much. I'm getting better at being able to adjust my footing and even grab the seat handle to adjust my seating while on the go. I know it's all small stuff, but it adds up. That's it for now.
        -- Albert Einstein

Comment

A Good Week

"I've also been able to relax more as I ride and my arms aren't flailing around so much. I'm getting better at being able to adjust my footing and even grab the seat handle to adjust my seating while on the go. I know it's all small stuff, but it adds up. That's it for now."

Well Done!
          Quick question.
          I quite often freemount and put my bum on the seat wrong, then fall off quite soon after. I'll have to try and lift up my bum whilst I'm riding. What position are your feet in when you do this?
          6+12 or 3+9 o'oclock or does it not matter.
          regards,
          Elaine

Comment

I know you didn't ask me, but..

when I started (in July) I found it easier to have the seat set up high in order to somewhat force me to sit on it. Now I can regularly ride ~1/4 mi or so w/o falling, and just this week I tried lowering the seat a bit. I ended up dropping it about 2" and now the seat is a lot more comfortable *and* I can move around on the seat as I'm pedaling! Trying to move my feet around on the pedals as I'm riding is still pretty stressful though.

What I'm trying to learn now more than anything is to establish a nice slow cadence. I can pedal furiously and stay on pretty well, but I want to get to the point where I have good control riding at a more relaxed pace. I have a long way to go.

Sam

Comment

Hi Samstoney.
              I'll try lowering my seat, then I should be able to clear it if I stand on my pedals. Thanks for that info.

"What I'm trying to learn now more than anything is to establish a nice slow cadence. I can pedal furiously and stay on pretty well, but I want to get to the point where I have good control riding at a more relaxed pace. I have a long way to go. "

Ditto that .

( I admit I had to "google " "cadence" )
              In another couple of months I might try other crank lengths, see if that makes a difference.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
                Well Done!
                Quick question.
                I quite often freemount and put my bum on the seat wrong, then fall off quite soon after. I'll have to try and lift up my bum whilst I'm riding. What position are your feet in when you do this?
                6+12 or 3+9 o'oclock or does it not matter.
                regards,
                Elaine
                Short answer: I'm not sure. Long: I just hold the seat handle and shift around a bit as I am riding. I haven't been able to stand on the peddles to change my seating. My kids just stand up with the peddles at 3&9 then sit back down. I hope, someday soon, I'll be able to do the same.

Originally posted by Samstoney View Post
                I know you didn't ask me, but..

when I started (in July) I found it easier to have the seat set up high in order to somewhat force me to sit on it. Now I can regularly ride ~1/4 mi or so w/o falling, and just this week I tried lowering the seat a bit. I ended up dropping it about 2" and now the seat is a lot more comfortable *and* I can move around on the seat as I'm pedaling! Trying to move my feet around on the pedals as I'm riding is still pretty stressful though.

What I'm trying to learn now more than anything is to establish a nice slow cadence. I can pedal furiously and stay on pretty well, but I want to get to the point where I have good control riding at a more relaxed pace. I have a long way to go.

Sam
                I run a long seatpost and keep it up pretty high. When standing, it measures up with my bellybutton. I tried lowering it, but found it made it harder to ride. As I progress, I'll slide it down a bit at a time.

I pretty good with riding a slower speeds. It's just like everything else, practice, practice, practice. Everything will fall into place. It will just be a different order of events for each of us.
                Last edited by SalManilla; 2011-10-14, 09:33 PM.
                -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Just got back from spending the morning riding unis with my girls at the local grade school. Wow! What a difference from riding on a gym floor. Except for one prior day at the school, all my time on the uni has been spent riding in a gym or our garage. Up until now I have never really noticed that the school yard wasn't level. As soon as I tried to mount I realized that it was sloped. It took a few tries, but I overcame it and we had a great time. I even took to riding up a long wheelchair access ramp. However, riding down I wasn't able to do. I was amazed at much work went into riding even the slightest slope. My older girl took some video of the morning and I'll post that after she's done with the editing.
                  -- Albert Einstein

Comment

That is awesome. Slopes can take some time getting used to. At first, you have to spend a lot of energy fighting your own weight. Like, if you don't lean backwards when going down a slope, and want to slow down, you have to put a lot of pressure on the back pedal to counter the pressure you put on the front pedal. After a while your body will learn to lean backwards more.

Upslope is the opposite. I still feel that it is easier than downslope, which is ironic. Going upslope feels like floating, and dancing on the pedals.
                    Last edited by LoneReaction; 2011-10-15, 05:26 PM.
                    My Personal blog / Unicycling Diary

Comment

Originally posted by LoneReaction View Post
                      That is awesome. Slopes can take some time getting used to. At first, you have to spend a lot of energy fighting your own weight. Like, if you don't lean backwards when going down a slope, and want to slow down, you have to put a lot of pressure on the back pedal to counter the pressure you put on the front pedal. After a while your body will learn to lean backwards more.

Upslope is the opposite. I still feel that it is easier than downslope, which is ironic. Going upslope feels like floating, and dancing on the pedals.
                      Right! I found upslope to be no problem. Leaning forward seems natural and safe. Leaning back I feel uncomfortable. Downslope I found myself riding fast and having to work harder. I was able to handle the downslope of the schoolyard, but as I stated, not the ramp.
                      -- Albert Einstein

Comment

practice...practice ....practice

When I first started about 4 months ago...I remember how awkward it felt the first time I got on the cycle...but for me the only thing that has done any good is practice...time spent every day getting on ..riding a short distance..then a longer distance..constant practice freemounting.. until I could get it 9 out of 10 times...then venturing out of the yard to a walking trail which had a 100 yard long slope leading down to a small lake and a concrete walkway around the lake.
                        I couldn't ride 10 yards without my legs hurting...and I thought it would take months to make it down that 20 degree slope ..and I would probably never be able to ride around the lake.. but I kept it up all summer and I can ride down the slope around the lake back up the slope as many times I want until I get bored..What really helps is riding down at the city river walk. a six mile ride really gets your body and legs trained to unicycle.. a couple of days ago I shortened my pedals to 127mm (5") from (6") I thought I would have to learn all over again..but after 2 miles it all smoothed out and I was flyin...but I found a whole new muscle group I didn't know I had in my legs..I started riding for fun but somewhere along the line I lost nearly 25lbs..my pulse has dropped 20 points and my blood pressure is a lot better... so my advice is...there is no short cut to the unicycle it takes a lot of work and what keeps me going is the fun....oh yeah while you're on these six or ten miles rides you have plenty of time to learn to adjust yourself on the cycle as well as slow down stop..idle...anything you want to practice can come true.. William
                        Nimbus...the unicycle Harry Potter rode in Star Wars..

Comment

Originally posted by stillup View Post
                          Practice...Practice....Practice
                          William
                          That sums up my learning experience to date, one day you still think it's going to be impossible to do something and the next day it just happens. The constant challenge is what keeps me interested.
                          Last edited by Loves this thing; 2011-10-17, 11:45 AM.
                          Why yes, I am a Christian on a unicycle. Thank you for noticing.

Comment

Yesterday I was able to stop, idle a bit, and go again. Just once, but I did it and it made my day!
                            -- Albert Einstein

Comment

It does, it's truly awesome the first time that happens.
                              You get to be able to start riding from a stable "platform", a stable "start".
                              When you learn that you can indeed take that platform with you, the world truly becomes your unicycling oyster.

Good job.
                              Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
                              If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
                              harper
                              MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                              NAMASTE!
                              Dave

Comment

Well Done Sal

Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                X