48 and just learning to uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SalManilla View Post
    Well it has been a stellar week for me. I have increased the distance that I can ride to six times around the basketball court and I am now doing rollback mounts (what I mistakenly referred to earlier as Freemount) 70%-80% of the time and even getting the side mounts 40%-50%. I've been doing great at controlling my speed and really working hard at riding at slower speeds with hopes to be able to stop and idle soon. What I am having the most trouble with is my right turn. I can go left whenever needed, but going right is extremely challenging. I am left-handed, so I assume that would have something to do with it. Well that's it for now. Cheers to all.
    Good job all round. You're working on the natural aspects of riding and it will come to you. The turning advice (above) is spot on, you seem to understand it and now it's simply a matter of applying it. (This won't be as easy to do as it is to type, but you'll get it sooner than you think, hang in there.)

Remember that the secret to riding/idling/riding is to stop leaning forward, ride the uni in underneath you, over-balance backwards, ride the uni back, regain balance and then ride forward while maintaining balance. It looks complicated on here, just keep practising until your mind gets tired of being in your way and allows your body to 'just do it'.

Have fun!
    Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
    If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
    harper
    MikeFule Seager BluntRM
    NAMASTE!
    Dave

Comment

Hello SalManilla!
      Welcome to the forum!

I've been reading your thread for a bit. I've been absent from the forum for several weeks and have just reved up my practicing again. Various things got in my way, but I'm back on the uni... and back on the forum. Come on over and read the "New Female Rider Age 57" Thread. Spread throughout are some great tips from some of these great forum participants / Uni experts... You will find a lot of nonsense fun as well.

Also read NotSoYoungOne's "The Learning Journal." That one is packed full of great advice.

I think my main issue has been that I am not in great physical shape in general, but I'm getting there (slowly)... and what better way to do it than on a uni.

I just love the fact that you ride with your family!! I can't get anyone interested. My husband is quite a bit older than I am, and he won't touch it. My friend that really wants to do it is too busy taking care of all four of her parents and in-laws, but I still have hope she will eventually get some time for it. No doubt, having someone to work with provides lots of fun and motivation.

Just saying "hi" SalManilla!
      Happy Unicycling!

Hi GILD!
      Last edited by 57UniRider; 2011-09-29, 09:26 AM.

Comment

"I'm not an ambi-turner. It's a problem I had since I was a baby. I can't turn left." --Zoolander

Last night went well. I had great success with my turns. I had completely forgotten about the "follow your nose" syndrome until LoneReaction reminded me to look where I want to go. I have become accustomed (through mountain biking) not to look or focus directly at a spot or object (such as rock) because you will go right to it. However I found last night that if I picked a spot on the floor and looked at it, I naturally leaned that way putting weight on the foot needed to turn. I was able to do figure eights rather than just circling the courts in one direction.

I also had some notable success with idling. However, since my left foot is the one that is down in the 6 o'clock position, I am making counter-clockwise rotations as I idle. I'm guessing that if I shift my weight to the right a bit, and maybe twist a bit at the hips, that I should be able to compensate for this.

Thanks for all the help everyone, you are a wealth of knowledge. I try not to bother our class instructors since they have their hands full with 40 other students that are between 6 and 12 years old.

Hello to 57UniRider and thanks for the welcome.

Till later, Cheers!
        "Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions."
        -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SalManilla View Post
          I became interested in unicycling after my two daughters joined the Redlands YMCA Youth Circus.
          Very cool. I've read about the Redlands YMCA in old unicycling newsletters from the 70s. They've been doing it a long time! I wonder if they still have some of the old custom cycles they had back then, like a small giraffe with tiny wheel, etc.
          The smallest dips or bumps would cause me to stop. But I didn't let that discourage me, I know that if I just persist I'll be able to keep up with them soon.
          Attitude is everything in learning to ride the unicycle; it sounds like your mind is in the right place. Of course it helps to have two daughters to keep setting an ambitious example. Too bad so many other people our age have already written themselves out of so many things.
          Tonight our 2012 circus season starts and this year I am going to perform with the kids in the beginning unicycle class as well as juggling.
          Sounds like fun! Your avatar picture shows clown shoes. Are those yours or is that just a stock image? Don't forget to allow for comedy in unicycle routines. Often youth performances take the riding too seriously, and end up with boring drill team-type products that are less interesting than a little fun (even if at a lower skill level).
          For some reason running a ball up and down a field chase you, or running around a set of bases while others try to tag you is acceptable behavior for adults, while bicycling, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc. are not.
          I don't accept your theory on that. While some of us are not interested in chasing balls around, I still see plenty of other people our age on the local bike path (we have an exceptional bike path). That said, I don't see many middle-aged people on skateboards. And I'm okay with that.
          What I've seen here in the U.S. is that a sport can only be accepted as mainstream and okay for adults if a person can sit their fat butt down on a couch with a pizza, some beer and be able to watch someone else participating in the sport on their television while they grow fatter.
          Shorter version: In the US a sport can only be mainstream if beer companies sponsor it. Follow the money!
          ...I am now doing rollback mounts (what I mistakenly referred to earlier as Freemount)[/quote]A rollback mount is a type of freemount; perhaps the most basic. The other basic ones are a static mount (pedals level) and a dead-spot mount (beginner version of a static mount--much harder).
          "I'm not an ambi-turner. It's a problem I had since I was a baby. I can't turn left." --Zoolander
          Oddly enough, I still have this problem when riding fast on my geared 36". I actually quoted some Zoolander during a big relay race where I was passing another team's car while flailing my arms around a sharp curve.

Another pointer for making turns; twist your upper body in the direction you want to go. For a right turn, bring your right shoulder forward. Of course the vision thing works as well. The body tends to go where you focus. That works better for wider turns, while the twisting works better for smaller turns, or continual turns (circles, spins).

Don't worry about your rotating idle too much. Try doing it with your opposite foot for a break (maybe you'll rotate the other way). And with things like that, the easiest way to figure out the problem is to try to do it in the opposite direction. Try to make yourself rotate the other way with your left foot. Once you've gotten that, all you have to do is cut the effect in half, more or less.
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
            Very cool. I've read about the Redlands YMCA in old unicycling newsletters from the 70s. They've been doing it a long time!
            They have been at it since 1929. It is now the oldest community circus in the world. Anyone wanting to know more about it only needs to visit our family site at http://beymer.com/circus/

I wonder if they still have some of the old custom cycles they had back then, like a small giraffe with tiny wheel, etc.
            Yep! They still have that one. I think the wheel is four inches. There's quite the stable of unicycles there. A giraffe welded in the shape of a Z, a twenty-footer, even a two person uni in the shape of a crescent with one rider positioned at the top of the crescent over the other rider on the bottom, and they have to peddle in unison. It's been a number of years since they have had two people that were able to ride that one. Last year there were two that had a couple of successful runs, but just could not get it together well enough to put it in the show.

Sounds like fun! Your avatar picture shows clown shoes. Are those yours or is that just a stock image?
            Them be mine! I found them in an antique store this summer and had to buy them.

Thanks for the advice John. Coming from a person with your expertise I know that it is all good. I'll be sure to put it to use tonight.
            -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Welcome and kudos to you. I started riding when I was 47 because of my oldest daughter who was then 11. The other daughter (then 9) picked it up quickly too.
              They can still ride but hardly ever do it anymore while I have stayed with it.

Comment

Last night went well. At first my legs felt a bit weak and rubbery, but I persisted and worked through it. Mounting is becoming less of a challenge and more habit.

I worked hard at idling and at one point was able to idle, ride, slow to stop, and go back into an idle. But that only happened once. Still I did it and it really charged my batteries.

On a side note. My 10 year old daughter has been working on a kick-up mount and last night got it 7 times in a row. I am very proud of her. She is the youngest in a group of about twenty and is really doing well.
                -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Another pointer for making turns; twist your upper body in the direction you want to go. For a right turn, bring your right shoulder forward.
                  That would make for a very skewed turn. I think John meant bring your left shoulder forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
                    That would make for a very skewed turn. I think John meant bring your left shoulder forward.
                    The way I took it was to first bring the right shoulder back, then in a quick twisting motion bring the right shoulder forward. This will cause your lower half of the body to turn to the right.
                    -- Albert Einstein

Comment

48 just a spring chicken...I just turned 65 and since I started in may of this year I have lost 20 pounds and feel great...I try to ride everyday I can..and usually down at our city river walk ..which is 7 miles long on the south side and 6 miles on the north.. I usually try to make it a little farther each day...friday it was 3 miles out and 3 miles back...My body and legs don't get that tired ..its usually my seating area that gives out..but I redid my seat foam and leveled it out and its alot better...anyway thank god for unicycles it has given me a new lease on life...not to mention the cute jogger lady who thought I was awesome...no it was her that was awesome for making an old guy like me's day. I started on a 24" but I've moved up to a 29er and love it..I'm waiting on my 127mm cranks so I can get some speed going...William
                      Nimbus...the unicycle Harry Potter rode in Star Wars..

Comment

Wow William!
                        Are you saying you only started unicycling in May of this year and you are already cycling all those miles. That's Brill.
                        Sal I do so envy you being able to idle, my legs just don't have the strength
                        It's great reading some of the threads and reading how people are progressing.
                        Well done everyone.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
                          Wow William!
                          Are you saying you only started unicycling in May of this year and you are already cycling all those miles. That's Brill.
                          Sal I do so envy you being able to idle, my legs just don't have the strength
                          It's great reading some of the threads and reading how people are progressing.
                          Well done everyone.
                          Elaine
                          you are very kind....I'm getting addicted to riding and any encouragement seems to push me further along...thank you
                          Nimbus...the unicycle Harry Potter rode in Star Wars..

Comment

Hi

Hi William.
                            There are lots of people on these forums who give lots of encouragement and good advice.
                            There are threads about people just starting out and sharing their stories which is encouragement for all newbies.
                            I'd recommend searching for :
                            Learning Journal
                            57 UniRider
                            Sal Manila
                            Dudewithasock
                            and having a look at their threads.

I always end the evening looking at the "pictures of your latest ride".
                            regards,
                            Elaine

Comment

oops

Just realised THIS IS Sal Manillas' thread. Doh!
                              Last edited by Alucard; 2011-10-11, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
                                Just realised THIS IS Sal Manillas' thread. Doh!
                                You got me! Yes, Sal Manilla is my alter ego. I've finally gotten around to making an avatar related to unicycling.
                                -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X