Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be interested in a unicycle game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, I made a start on the game last night, and it's coming on nicely.
    I managed to get a basic unicycle that I could ride around the terrain.

A long way to go, but a good start.

I could still do with a 3d artist ideally as It's going to take quite a while if i'm doing all the physics and the 3d design/animation!

Anyway I'm going to keep working on it and I'll keep you updated.

Cheers
    Pete
    buy oak furniture at a good price from a unicyclist.
    Solid Oak Furniture
    I sell a good selection of oak wardrobes, dining tables and even solid oak office furniture.

Comment

Hey,

I guess there's no-one that want to work on the graphics for this....?

But does any-one have some sort of concept of how the game should work?
      Or just something they would like to see?

any input would be appreciated!
      buy oak furniture at a good price from a unicyclist.
      Solid Oak Furniture
      I sell a good selection of oak wardrobes, dining tables and even solid oak office furniture.

Comment

Well, you've heard my plea for a "get-through-the-level-and-avoid-enemies-and-obstacles"-game rather than a "do tricks"-game.
        This would mean that you only do tricks for purposes, such as getting up a high cliff per crankhang.
        And a 2D environment would be a treat too
        Or just something they would like to see?
        Definitely a warband of uni-vikings.
        ..:: Wer im Steinhaus sitzt, sollte nicht mit Gläsern werfen ::..
        Ergänzung für Keynesianer: Außer bei Nachfrageschwäche.

Comment

Originally posted by EwokChieftain View Post
          Well, you've heard my plea for a "get-through-the-level-and-avoid-enemies-and-obstacles"-game rather than a "do tricks"-game.
          This would mean that you only do tricks for purposes, such as getting up a high cliff per crankhang.
          And a 2D environment would be a treat too
          This is what I was trying to say. I don't like the idea of a 3d uni game, I think it would come off as trying to simulate unicycling, which let's be honest, you can't really do. The side-scrolling 2d stage-oriented challenge type game is I think where your time will be better spent.

A 3D 3rd person just makes me think of another "Pro _____" game, and we know how badly all the other ones did that weren't skating. And I didn't even care for the skating ones after a while.

Comment

I would be fine with anything!
            Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

Originally posted by petit_pierre View Post
              I've been thinking about the game mechanics a bit... how about that:

Controls:
              Hold down [<] or [>]: Ride at standard speed

Hit [<] or [>] repeatedly: sprint. There's a maximum speed, so you don't need to super-optimise this technique, just hit the key fast enough.

Right Hand [Alt]:
              - duck/ride ducked
              - when you are airborne: pull up your legs

[Space]: load up for jump - the longer you hold it down, the higher you jump. But you reach the maximum jumping power very quickly, <0,5 sec. There's no bar to show the jumping power, only a symbol that appears when it's fully loaded, so you can "train" yourself to release at that point.
              If you just hit the button for a moment you do a little pre-jump, the game memorises it and when you do a full jump directly afterwards it gets furtherly boosted. Then press down in addition to pull your legs up and you'll reach the maximum possible height.

Crankhang:
              If you do a "duck-jump" (-> jump with your legs pulled up) and you don't get over an edge with your tire, but the hub is still above it, the character automatically does a crankhang. So this is the "last line of defense" when it comes to jumping.
              Press [up] to lever yourself up the edge.

Grinding:
              When there's a grindable rail, you normally just pass in front of it, only when you do a duck-jump and your trajectory crosses the rail you hook onto it. You have to maintain your balance when grinding by pressing [<] and [>]. You can grind ducked or un-ducked. (when ducked, the balance is more sensitive, so this should only be used to dodge things at head level).
              Of course you don't propel yourself while grinding, so you either grind down a sloped rail or get slower on an even one until you stop.

Environment:
              Some things I'd like to see in the levels
              - Teeter-totter
              - sprung platform: about equivalent to a trampoline, but easier to simulate
              - endless belt that moves just at the player's standard speed, so in order to move against its direction you have to sprint
              - Nasty version of the endless belt, with segments that kill you and which you have to jump over.
              - A whole lot of other stuff that kills you
              - endless steel rope: just hook onto it (like onto a rail) and stay balanced; then it will transport you somewhere.
              It could either
              a) just come out of a whole and vanish into another one, or
              b) there could be a return line and both they are connected by big wheels at either end (so you see a complete cableway). When you reach a wheel you drop off the cable, but the wheel isn't subject to collision as such.
              - Big Spherical/Cylindrical thing (barrel? Giant ball of stone? [see Indiana Jones]) - jump and then ride on it to overcome some obstacle on the ground (let's say red-hot coal) or reach high items. The directions of movement are, of course, inverted as on a "twice" unicycle. It could either be
              a) auto-balanced like normal riding or
              b) have a balance bar like grinding.
              In the latter case you would have get off balance just enough to accelerate in the right direction, then get the pointer back to the middle to keep moving at continuous speed. If you go too fast, you fall off, which is lethal if you fall down on the wrong side of the thing (the one it's rolling towards)
              Last edited by EwokChieftain; 2011-04-01, 02:14 PM.

Comment

about the last bit: come to think of it, of course you will always fall down the wrong side of the thing if it rolls faster than you can ride... *facepalm*

Comment

Great idea
                  Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

This would be absolutely awesome!!!!!!! One thing I would like to see is a thing that shows you how to do tricks like unispins and flat stuff where you could slow it down and see exactly how its done!
                    Why have two wheels when you can have one?!?!
                    -Chandler

Want to make money quickly? Click here to sign up!http://www.cashcrate.com/2654240

Comment

If you want to incorporate balance you could use A and D for pedaling left or right, and then the mouse could be used to maintain balance above the uni.

Comment

Hows the game comeing along?

Comment

this sounds really cool you could also get Ideas from Rocket: Robot on Wheels
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket:_Robot_on_Wheels
                          http://www.coolrom.com/roms/n64/1592..._on_Wheels.php
                          Communicatively,
                          Zayr

"As soon as you lose your balance, gravity will reconnect you with the ground regardless of how high or low your seat is."
                          -Rowan

Comment

Make some flatland in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by unigamer View Post
                              I am obliged to point out this unicycle snes game is/was awesome
                              I agree. One of my favourite games for SNES... Maybe I have to buy the mini version of the console for some nostalgia evenings.

Comment

Working...
                              X