New Law on bike parts. Must read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThisGuyIKnow View Post
    Well reading through that other forum makes me appreciate the civility and lack of vulgarity that we have here.
    Word.

However it might be useful to do a little research on the actual bill and write to your congressman saying that you think the intent of the law is good and explain peacibly that BMX bikes and unicycles bigger than 16" are not toys
    Good idea. Otherwise, Joe Unicycler may have to resort to the black market or Craigslist for all his unicycle purchases.
    ~Benjamin
    ><>Unicycle For Christ<><

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.

Comment

Originally posted by Seager View Post
      I guess I need to re-read the article, but I thought this was related to the new lead constraint on imports that the FDA or EPA or whoever just made.

It's silly to make domestic products be tested more, we haven't had any issues with those. Is that all toys or just bmx toys?
      The VintageBMX thread has some good info and further links. Post #63 has some good info from a USA BMX company. The cost of testing would be unsustainable for companies that do small batch manufacturing.
      john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
      Team Never Wash Your Muni
      My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

Originally posted by john_childs View Post
        The problem with that theory is that they are requiring BMX parts made in the USA to undergo the same expensive testing. This will not save the made in the USA bike parts industry. The reality is that it will kill the smaller USA BMX companies and all that will be left are the big factories in China and Taiwan.
        "As of Nov. 12, nothing shipped after that date can come into the US without proper 3rd party testing for lead, lead content, and phalates and the certified documnents needed to get through customs at port. This includes complete bikes, frames, and all parts with intended us for any bike 24" and under." - From the article linked

From what I read (the first time) it applies to imports only. After rereading it I saw that this will apply to bike parts made in the USA soon as well.

I found an article that has some links, one to the law itself I believe. I will have to read it later. It looks like lawmakers are reconsidering at least parts of the law and have become somewhat sensitive to small businesses needs. Lets hope government can defy their usual anti-logic and work something out that makes sense, provides some accountability; yet, doesn't unfairly hamper small businesses.

Back to my egg nog. I'll have to read up some more and "get back to ya!"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ihx7wD959C7MO0

Comment

this is clearly for all toys, it's just that they're classifying 24 and msaller bikes (and unicycles) as toys, which is kinda dumb, but at the same time, lead is not so cool to have ending up in a landfill after it's life, even on adult products, but this is kinda dumb.

Comment

The reason for the regulations isn't to keep lead out of landfills, it is to keep lead out of the mouths of kids who chew on toys.
            john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
            Team Never Wash Your Muni
            My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

Originally posted by john_childs View Post
              The reason for the regulations isn't to keep lead out of landfills, it is to keep lead out of the mouths of kids who chew on toys.
              +1

Newsflash: Lead is found naturally!
              MountainUni
              or make it a dinglespeed - saskatchewanian

Comment

Nawww, the regulations are definitely meant to keep lead from creeping into our environment. The stuff about kids chewing on toys is just to scare us into supporting the regulations.

Save the children!

Comment

Originally posted by idiorythmic View Post
                  Nawww, the regulations are definitely meant to keep lead from creeping into our environment. The stuff about kids chewing on toys is just to scare us into supporting the regulations.

Save the children!
                  Fact is fact. Kids also will touch lead, not wash their hands, then go rub their eyes and somehow get it into their mouths. I hope the "Its not like kids chew on bikes" was more of a joke than an excuse.
                  Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
                  Want some advice? Do better.
                  ~Jerrick

Comment

Well reading through that other forum makes me appreciate the civility and lack of vulgarity that we have here.
                    Absolutely.
                    And it also serves to strengthen my resolve to politely ask people to refrain from such behaviour on this forum.
                    Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
                    If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
                    harper
                    MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                    NAMASTE!
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrick View Post
                      Fact is fact. Kids also will touch lead, not wash their hands, then go rub their eyes and somehow get it into their mouths. I hope the "Its not like kids chew on bikes" was more of a joke than an excuse.
                      Fact is fact. After riding your bike on the street there'll be so much dirt on it from god knows where that when you touch your eyes with it, you won't have any of that paint lead. You will get all the dirt from the street, however.

And anyway, I still haven't understood if they're gonna test non-painted objects. If no, then the whole law is just a minor inconvenience.
                      Did you know that lighter flame smells like burnt nose hair?
                      Entropy isn't what it used to be.

Comment

I believe I ingest more lead by eating fish than I would by sucking on lead-tainted toys. That lead in the fish is from the lead we allow to leach into the environment with our careless waste disposal procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan View Post
                          Fact is fact. After riding your bike on the street there'll be so much dirt on it from god knows where that when you touch your eyes with it, you won't have any of that paint lead. You will get all the dirt from the street, however.
                          I wasn't aware that dirt was an effective protective barrier against lead. You should let EPA know, they could save a lot of money.
                          We Bike Eugene |
                          The GreyMatter Jugglers | Team RoadShow |

Comment

Incidentally I went a'researching after my last remark here, and one thing I found is that in populated areas the dirt you get on your uni might actually have lots of lead in it. So might the dust in your home, especially if the home was built before 1978, when lead paint bans went into effect. (in the USA)

Comment

Originally posted by idiorythmic View Post
                              So might the dust in your home, especially if the home was built before 1978, when lead paint bans went into effect. (in the USA)
                              Which is exactly why this law is needed - for imports. I didn't think there were any domestic products that still used lead other than BB gun pellets and things like that.
                              We Bike Eugene |
                              The GreyMatter Jugglers | Team RoadShow |

Comment

Then again, maybe this is not all bad news. I am too scared by traffic to want to ride on the road, and a little worried by the law about to riding on the pavement. However if unis of 24 and less are reclassified as toys, any attempt to book me for "riding a vehicle" on the pavement might be countered by a claim that I was just playing with a toy.

As long as someone else gets to test case it first in court of course. In the meantime I will continue to smile sweetly at the policeman. Works every time.

Nao
                                The dress in which I unicycled was not THAT short, but in retrospect, I think that maybe the blue one would have been more appropriate to the terrain.

Comment

Working...
                                X