Honda fit or toyota prius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuniAddict
    Wow you must drive like 60k miles per year to save that much!

Btw, My annual mileage is about 12k only.

So I have to ask myself if it's worth shelling out $30,000 mainly to just double my mpg?
    Actually, I think we only have about 55,000 miles on it. I think my dad might have exaggerated a little bit by saying we saved $10,000. But had we been driving a big SUV we might have saved about that much.

If you only drive 12k miles a year, it would take a lot longer for the prius to pay off. The Honda Fit sounds like a good compromise for your situation.

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.
    )--360 Unispin--',
    Juggling stuffs:
    3 balls- 401 catches
    4 balls-83 catches
    5-balls-workin on it

Comment

Originally posted by evil-nick
      If you drive conservatively, you can prolly get 40+mpg out of the fit... I do with my '99 Civic
      Maybe combined, but no way for city-only driving with all the stop and go, wating at lights, driving up steep grades, etc. Not a chance. Even the prius strains to get slightly better than that for city-only driving with "real world" estimates.
      Last edited by MuniAddict; 2008-06-20, 10:31 PM.
      Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
      Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
      -Dani Buron

Website
      Videos
      Facebook

Comment

I would get an Aptera if I were you. The hybrid version gets 300 mpg, and the all electric version has a 120 mile range. It also looks bad-ass. It costs about $30,000.

http://www.aptera.com/

They are made in Carlsbad too, so you can go check one out yourself.
        Last edited by mornish; 2008-06-21, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I would get a Suzuki Twin if i had the $$$.
          I am one weird and unusual Greek Cypriot Australian with a pienormous heart.

Can't wait till this game is finally released.

Comment

Originally posted by mornish
            I would get an Aptera if I were you. The hybrid version gets 300 mpg, and the all electric version has a 120 mile range. It also looks bad-ass. It costs about $30,000.

http://www.aptera.com/

They are made in Carlsbad too, so you can go check one out yourself.
            are those really only $30,000?!

Those look hella Badass.

Edit: Wow your right. This right here is my new dream car! And realistic too...
            Last edited by peleschramm; 2008-06-21, 06:18 PM.
            http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
            Unicycle for rational thought, open mindedness, and uncertainty. And Spencer.

Inventor of the Slapflip.

Comment

I have always thought that the Honda Civic Hatch was the best car every made. Now it comes in 4 door version called the Fit. I would go with the a Fit for sure.

Although that spaceship Miles linked to is pretty nifty.
              Last edited by agentQ; 2008-06-21, 06:25 PM.
              ---
              Uneed Films

Whats up with Street and Flat?
              the Unicycle Lab

Comment

I haven't done any research on this, but if you care for the environment I would steer away from the Prius. I could only assume the efficiency rate would be a lot poorer than a standard car. If you are worrying about fuel prices, get a diesel.

The Jazz (Fit apparently) is a good car over in Britain, reliable and economical.

Cheers.
                Add me at: mike41ishere <att> hotmail <dott> com

'i like things big' - Amanda

'Crankflips are like woman, hard to understand' Peter/Probailer2

Comment

My Diesel F-350 can run over your prius

hah , idk dude, either car'll do u fine. too bad "evolution" is too slow...we could all grow wings and fly. psshh..
                  Last edited by musketman; 2008-06-22, 08:04 PM.
                  Musketman
                  www.unicycle.com
                  For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain

kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long...

Comment

Originally posted by swarbrim
                    I haven't done any research on this, but if you care for the environment I would steer away from the Prius. I could only assume the efficiency rate would be a lot poorer than a standard car. If you are worrying about fuel prices, get a diesel.

The Jazz (Fit apparently) is a good car over in Britain, reliable and economical.

Cheers.
                    Haha diesel costs $5.25 per gallon here!
                    -Dani Buron

Website
                    Videos
                    Facebook

Comment

I'm not sure, Terry, what your car needs are, but I can report that for a single human driving mainly to and from work (70 miles total each day, half city half freeway), with the occasional jaunt to some unicycling event someplace, the Fit is just perfect.

Though it has a very small, sub-compact footprint on the ground (translation: you can park it anywhere), it's roomy inside even for the larger adult humans you might travel with.

I can get my N36, T7 handle and all, in and out through the rear passenger doors with no trouble at all. I also can carry a 20", a 24" and a 29" in the hatchback area quite easily, with room to spare for other equipment.

I think with your city driving and the hills you'll still manage 30 mpg pretty easily. (I am getting near 34 without using any drastic hypermiling techniques)
                      Last edited by idiorythmic; 2008-06-23, 11:13 PM.

Comment

The main advantage of the Prius over the fit is that it's a mid sized sedan vs. a compact car. Between the two, gas savings shouldn't really sway you one way or the other. The Prius won't pay for itself that way, but the fit will never fit as much stuff or be as luxurious.

That being said, I'd never pay over sticker for a car. The Prius is booming right now because gas prices are super-inflated and people are having a knee-jerk reaction to it.

Gas prices will come down (current prices are that way largely because of speculation on oil futures) and when they do, you'll no longer need to pay a premium on the Prius.

I'd also consider the Yaris. It's similar to the Fit, but easier to get a good deal on.

....or you could put your name on the wait list for a smart car.
                        ><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><

Comment

With a 38-gallon tank and Diesel fuel at $5 a gallon, two-fillups are the monthly payment on a Prius.

I hope you're doing real work with that thing.

edit: A quick google search suggests that the F-350 gets maybe 10mpg. Ouch!! If you drive an average of 18k miles a year, the fuel costs are enough to make payments on, fuel, and insure a Prius. ...just don't try to haul gravel or tow a 5th wheel.

Originally posted by musketman
                          My Diesel F-350 can run over your prius

hah , idk dude, either car'll do u fine. too bad "evolution" is too slow...we could all grow wings and fly. psshh..
                          Last edited by mscalisi; 2008-06-23, 11:44 PM.
                          ><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><

Comment

Originally posted by mscalisi
                            The main advantage of the Prius over the fit is that it's a mid sized sedan vs. a compact car. Between the two, gas savings shouldn't really sway you one way or the other... also consider the Yaris. It's similar to the Fit, but easier to get a good deal on...
                            I second both those opinions, we own a Prius now, but with pre-inflation prices has saved a lot for what we use it which 70+ miles a day highway commute.

In your situation however, and I'm saying this with no prior knowledge (except knowing what the price and mpg is) of the "Fit", I would suggest the Fit. No need to pay over sticker when you can negotiate a cheaper car for reasonable gas milage.
                            Last edited by SixSixOne : Youtube-ay at Vim:eo PM.
                            Belle Isle Richmond, VA (Comp Thread)
                            -David

Comment

Originally posted by adjuggler
                              I second both those opinions, we own a Prius now, but with pre-inflation prices has saved a lot for what we use it which 70+ miles a day highway commute.

In your situation however, and I'm saying this with no prior knowledge (except knowing what the price and mpg is) of the "Fit", I would suggest the Fit. No need to pay over sticker when you can negotiate a cheaper car for reasonable gas milage.
                              Well, the "real world" city mpg on a fit-and the auto actually rates 1 mpg higher than the manual-gets only 25-27mpg at best, and maybe 34-35 hwy at best. That's a combined of 29. Not worth spending 18k for a mere 5pmg improvement over my honda crv, which is way roomier and just a much higher quality car than the fit.

Plus I only have 60k on it and it's in great condition. The buzz it to wait a year or 2 more, when honda and toyota will inveil cars that make the current hybrids seem like dgas guzzlers!
                              -Dani Buron

Website
                              Videos
                              Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by mscalisi
                                Gas prices will come down (current prices are that way largely because of speculation on oil futures)
                                Who'd you hear that from? Politicians and the media? Try this instead.
                                Gilby

Comment

Working...
                                X