An introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An introduction

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was given a unicycle for my 9th birthday. It took me about 5 months before I was able to keep myself balanced and another few before I could do anything close to what would be considered "riding" a unicycle. I continued riding - and falling off - until I damaged my knee when I was 17. When I got out of hospital, my unicycle was gone.

About this time last year, I decided that I needed to start riding again. This past Xmas, whilst in Melbourne, I was at juggleart.com buying some hoola-hoops for friends for Xmas and saw a shiny unicycle which I also purchased.

I've had the uni for over a month now and have rolled back and forth in my flat whilst awaiting to move into a new place where I will have a proper area to practice. That move happens next weekend and I reckon I'll be riding - maybe even free-mounting - within 3 months.

I play with computers for a living, play with fire (diabolo, poi and stick) for fun and never have enough holidays.

!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice introduction. =p

I gotta keep this short cause im rushing to go to bed, or play some video games, then to bed.

Try practicing outside. Mount near a wall, or anything to hold onto, and just pedal away from it.

What exactly do you with computers? My old CRT literally burned out on me a few days ago, and tomorrow my widescreen LCD will be here. Im excited.
    Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
    Want some advice? Do better.
    ~Jerrick

Comment

Originally posted by Rantz
      Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was given a unicycle for my 9th birthday.
      Please be wary of starting religious debates here.

until I damaged my knee when I was 17. When I got out of hospital, my unicycle was gone.
      Typical parents.

About this time last year, I decided that I needed to start riding again. This past Xmas, whilst in Melbourne, I was at juggleart.com buying some hoola-hoops for friends for Xmas and saw a shiny unicycle which I also purchased.
      Smart move.

I've had the uni for over a month now and have rolled back and forth in my flat whilst awaiting to move into a new place where I will have a proper area to practice. That move happens next weekend and I reckon I'll be riding - maybe even free-mounting - within 3 months.
      Good luck and keep us up-to-date.

Remember to keep your weight on the seat not on the pedals.
      Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
      To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrick
        What exactly do you with computers?
        Database administration, at the moment. Keeps me entertained, mostly.
        Originally posted by JJuggle
        Please be wary of starting religious debates here.
        Crikey, shall be more careful in the future - we definitely don't need more of those.
        Typical parents.
        Twasn't my parents, alas, but a thief. They may have bribed the thief, but.
        Good luck and keep us up-to-date.
        Remember to keep your weight on the seat not on the pedals.
        The body remembers the weight on the seat bit - now it's merely a matter of having enough room to do more than two or three revs - that will be the case when I move.

Thanks for the welcomes - I'll post pictures eventually and will be asking for advice on what my next uni purchase shall be once I've got this training one under control.
        !!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I survived 19 days without a connection to the internetz without completely losing my marbles thanks to having a fair amount of space in/around my new flat to practice riding my uni.

I can now ride about 5 metres without UPDing and, once I'm off the pain-killers from getting my wisdome teeth removed, I'll be hitting the sidewalk and roads.

The first time I made it from my back step to the Hill's Hoist - 5 metres - I couldn't wipe the smile of my gob. Ended up spending another hour trying to do the same again to no avail.

Since then, however, I manage to achieve that 5 metres every second day - by the end of March I reckon I'll be doing it everyday.

I'm so pleased with my progress that I'm already working out which uni to by as my second - I want to ride it to work (at the hospital - always a good thing in case of accidents) which is about 5 kilometres from where I live - any suggestions as to what uni I should by would be most appreciated.

I'm currently considering this one after a brief discussion with Mal.

All for now...
          !!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey Rantz, nice choice of unicycle my friend. I would get one myself if i couldn't afford a coker or the UDC coker.
            Last edited by Hazmat; 2008-03-06, 10:39 AM.
            I am one weird and unusual Greek Cypriot Australian with a pienormous heart.

Can't wait till this game is finally released.

Comment

I thought about getting a 29" but decided to save and go for a 36". Need to save for a Nimbus 36" Nightrider Pro. Asked UDC Australia if/when they were getting some in and received an email stating their getting some in after Easter. How long after? How much? I don't know, but I gotta start saving hard. I want it with all the bells and whistles on it.

Edit: Its this one in case you don't already know (US site)
              Last edited by TattooedBandit; 2008-03-06, 02:54 PM.

"What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?" - Captain Spaulding - The Devil's Rejects

Comment

Welcome back to unicycling rantz

Welcome back to unicycling rantz

I also juggle, but can't juggle and uni at the same time.

TattooedBandit: I have a 29" and have recently ordered the New N36. The N36 should arrive any day now. My 29" unicycle has provided my over 500km of thrills and smiles. If you have the opportunity to consider one, I'd recommend it. I use my 29 for commuting to work, muni, and fun.
                Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
                my inspiration in life.

Comment

Originally posted by legtod2
                  If you have the opportunity to consider one, I'd recommend it. I use my 29 for commuting to work, muni, and fun.
                  I already have a 26" Muni with a street tyre on it at the moment. Total diameter is more like 27" so i don't think its worth getting a 29" just for the extra 2". Doesn't seem as though it would be much different but i may be wrong. That's why I want a 36".

"What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?" - Captain Spaulding - The Devil's Rejects

Comment

Religious debates are the most fun! They are the only thing that keeps my attention long enough for me to stay!
                    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius."
                    -Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Comment

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was given a unicycle
                      You where given a wheel before it was invented?
                      Your life is a storm, thunder is your music and lightning is your electric dancing legs, groove on friends. Groove on.

Comment

Originally posted by spazdude222
                        Religious debates are the most fun! They are the only thing that keeps my attention long enough for me to stay!
                        God is dead - I killed her.

Discuss.
                        !!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

God is dead - I killed her.

Discuss.

Welcome back to the wheel thing!
                          Regards,
                          Ken

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
                          26" inexpensive travel.

Comment

Progression

We (meaning those of us in Darwin) are towards the end of our Wet Season - what some call the "Build Down" (as opposed to the "Build Up" at the beginning of same season) - and so the area outside of my flat is dryer and thus a bit safer to pop onto the Uni.

I've re-configed my back veranda such that I have more room to ride in a straight(ish) line and the thing that I'm most amazed with today is that I can see the line of sweat that has accumulated along the area that I've been riding today. My protective gear is starting to get quite smelly so it's probably time to pop that into the washing machine.

Things I've noticed:
                            • I need ankle-bone protection (I'm sure that's possibly related to bad technique and I'm trying like buggery to correct that);
                            • I'm feeling more confident with each day on the Uni;
                            • My falls are decreasing whilst my UPDs are increasing by comparison;
                            • I get an incredible buzz that lasts for about half an hour after I finish my practice (the same buzz I got when I last jumped out of a plane - just less intense and shorter in duration) - I don't get this buzz from riding my b*ke; and
                            • My cat things I'm a nutter.
                            I'm looking forward to the Dry Season getting here good and proper such that I can get more time in the evenings and on weekends without worrying about wether or not my practice area is wet.

All for now,

!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

15 metres

It's obviously a short distance for many, if not most, of the people in these forums, but for me it was a mile-stone. Yesterday after work I hopped on the Uni and rode from my back verandah to the back garden bed, swerving around the hills hoist and stopping without falling off.

It's taken just over four months - and not nearly enough time on the Uni - to get this far, but for me it's grand.

So grand, in fact, that I dreamt about Unis last night - having never done that before.

!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X