• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monocyclism
    replied
    Originally posted by GILD View Post
    I think we need to get you a giraffe...
    Lol I am considering getting a MUni right now but since you mention it.....giraffe?...hmmm I wonder....
    Last edited by monocyclism; 2009-07-29, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GILD
    replied
    I think we need to get you a giraffe...

Leave a comment:

• monocyclism
    replied
    Originally posted by GILD View Post
    Good post!

Illustrating both the value of perseverance and, in the case of the freemount, the value of committing to the mount.

Riding the uni is a dynamic balance, you've got to want to fall off the front to want to justify pedaling the machine back in underneath ya.
    So when you're GOING FOR THE MOUNT, don't hold back.
    Good comments!

Inspired me to show another vid. After learning to basically mount and ride I got off the 24" straight onto this

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/2956358"]learning to mount a 36er on Vimeo[/ame]

First day with the 36er. Jeez, what a surprise! Discovered the T7 handle, for me, was obstructing the mount so removed it to hold the seat handle and learn how to get on it - then re-attached the T7 once I had become consistent. Notice how I am not getting on top of the wheel - in other words not committing. Now I normally use a rolling mount to help me get onto the beast!

Leave a comment:

• GILD
    replied
    Good post!

Illustrating both the value of perseverance and, in the case of the freemount, the value of committing to the mount.

Riding the uni is a dynamic balance, you've got to want to fall off the front to want to justify pedaling the machine back in underneath ya.
    So when you're GOING FOR THE MOUNT, don't hold back.

Shin-pads help.
    Last edited by GILD; 2009-07-28, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• monocyclism
    replied
    Originally posted by mbalmer View Post
    You should get some video of yourself learning. It's a lot of fun to go back and watch the early days once you've got the hang of it.
    When I was first learning I enjoyed making video's of each stage. as the attached vid shows, I learnt to ride before I could mount. When I could ride consistently I simply went out to learn mounting as the next stage. Thought I would post this for no reason other than entertainment - If you are learning to mount it might demonstrate perseverance The video covers my first ever session trying to mount. When I first succeed (at 1.40), after several failed attempts I appear almost hesitant (expecting to fall) as I realise I'm still on the seat!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdd7wUn3rzc"]YouTube - Learning to mount a unicycle[/ame]

Leave a comment:

• Into the blue
    replied
    Why don't you take the chairs from the kitchen outside?

Leave a comment:

• GILD
    replied
    Originally posted by brujja View Post
    I think I remember one guy mentioning he had... but I was wondering if there where more of you out there.
    I've mentioned that little moment of silliness.
    I figured once I'm 'there' I'll figure out the riding thing.

Like John said, a bit of a waste of effort. I wouldn't recommend it to people because it does steepen the unicycle's already punishingly steep learning curve and could lead to some people giving up.
    If you are totally committed to learning and learning this way, it does have it's advantages.
    Some people learn to ride and then have so much fun riding along that they never want to put in the effort to learn a freemount.
    This limits their riding quite a bit as they can only ride from lamp-post to lamp-post.

It's doable, it's a lot of effort and arguably worth it in the long run.

Hang in there and let us know what you think once you've learnt to do both.

Leave a comment:

• ally1776
    replied
    Maybe you already seen this but there is a thread about free mounting and one of the guys posted a video that walks through a practicing exercise, here is the link the video is about half way down the thread...
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...ight=freemount

Have patience with yourself and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• mbalmer
    replied
    You should get some video of yourself learning. It's a lot of fun to go back and watch the early days once you've got the hang of it.

I learned to freemount a couple of days after learning to ride. I would use the hallway in the house so I could touch both walls on either side. Everyone at home learned to stay out of the way (even the dogs).

Leave a comment:

• ilovemypork
    replied
    I learned to free mount as I was learning to ride. I would mount the uni and fall off almost instantly, but gradually I was able to pedal more and more and eventually ride.

However, every so often I would use a mailbox or basketball goal to mount when I got frustrated with failed free mounts. Once able to free mount with ease, I learned 5 times faster.

My friend is also learning to ride and free mount at the same time, and he does it much better than I did.

Leave a comment:

• kington99
    replied
    Originally posted by wickedbob View Post
    Using a car with a clutch isn't all that bad I drove my moms a couple times. People make is seem SO much harder than it is like unicycle. Besides a clutch has many benefits over an automatic.
    well yes when you consider that in most countries virtually everyone learns to drive in manual cars it's not really that surprising. However, double-declutching down a non-synchro box under heavy decelleration is rather more tricky.

back to the unicycling, I wouldn't learn them together. Trying to start a ride from a dodgey mount is not easy. Get the riding sorted, then get to learning the mount.

Leave a comment:

• aklyatne
    replied
    Yeah, the rope idea sounds like it would work great! That way, if you let go, you won't end up running into pointy brick pillars like I did

Leave a comment:

• Triball
    replied
    I learned to freemount before I could ride, because I didn't have anything to lean on. It took me two weeks to ride comfortably, but I never had any problems freemounting

Leave a comment:

• brujja
    replied
    Originally posted by banjo_gun_snake_wheels
    Why dont you hop in your car and find an empty parking lot?
    Trust me, had I a car, that would have been the first thing I would've done. Fortunately, I don't. I LOVE my bicycle and I wouldn't imagine my life without it... I can carry an array of things while riding... my unicycle is not one of them - although I'm sure it can be done.

It just occurred to me though... I could use a rope! I'd just have to tie it from one end of the house to the fence all the way across my patio. It woldn't be a long smooth strip like a the sidewalk or street would be - but it would be enough to get me started. That way I could still work at learning to free-mount, and then also do some riding with the aid of the rope... If I have it low enough, I could just hover my hands over it, and use it only as a last minute resort.... helping me to focus on staying balanced and straight (vrs. leaning, which is what I tend to do when I use the kitchen counter for support) ....... ... hmmmmm.... what do you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• lilfunky1
    replied
    i could do a static freemount before i could ride.
    so i could get onto the uni, do like a still-stand for about 2 seconds then fell off because i couldn't ride away.

then i a few months later i figured out that it's easy to go from a static mount straight into bunny-hopping.

thus i owned a funny looking pogostick.

finally one day it just clicked and i could ride.

the biggest problem i saw with the fact that i could static mount without riding is i never wanted to hold onto a wall or anything to help me ride, so i would just throw myself onto, and off of, the unicycle which probably delayed my learning-to-ride ability by a LOT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X