learning to free-mount while learning to ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brujja View Post
    I think I remember one guy mentioning he had... but I was wondering if there where more of you out there.
    I've mentioned that little moment of silliness.
    I figured once I'm 'there' I'll figure out the riding thing.

Like John said, a bit of a waste of effort. I wouldn't recommend it to people because it does steepen the unicycle's already punishingly steep learning curve and could lead to some people giving up.
    If you are totally committed to learning and learning this way, it does have it's advantages.
    Some people learn to ride and then have so much fun riding along that they never want to put in the effort to learn a freemount.
    This limits their riding quite a bit as they can only ride from lamp-post to lamp-post.

It's doable, it's a lot of effort and arguably worth it in the long run.

Hang in there and let us know what you think once you've learnt to do both.
    Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
    If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
    harper
    MikeFule Seager BluntRM
    NAMASTE!
    Dave

Comment

Why don't you take the chairs from the kitchen outside?

Comment

Originally posted by mbalmer View Post
        You should get some video of yourself learning. It's a lot of fun to go back and watch the early days once you've got the hang of it.
        When I was first learning I enjoyed making video's of each stage. as the attached vid shows, I learnt to ride before I could mount. When I could ride consistently I simply went out to learn mounting as the next stage. Thought I would post this for no reason other than entertainment - If you are learning to mount it might demonstrate perseverance The video covers my first ever session trying to mount. When I first succeed (at 1.40), after several failed attempts I appear almost hesitant (expecting to fall) as I realise I'm still on the seat!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdd7wUn3rzc"]YouTube - Learning to mount a unicycle[/ame]
        1 wheel, 1 day, 100 miles, 64 years...

Comment

Good post!

Illustrating both the value of perseverance and, in the case of the freemount, the value of committing to the mount.

Riding the uni is a dynamic balance, you've got to want to fall off the front to want to justify pedaling the machine back in underneath ya.
          So when you're GOING FOR THE MOUNT, don't hold back.

Shin-pads help.
          Last edited by GILD; 2009-07-28, 07:57 PM.
          harper
          MikeFule Seager BluntRM
          NAMASTE!
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GILD View Post
            Good post!

Illustrating both the value of perseverance and, in the case of the freemount, the value of committing to the mount.

Riding the uni is a dynamic balance, you've got to want to fall off the front to want to justify pedaling the machine back in underneath ya.
            So when you're GOING FOR THE MOUNT, don't hold back.
            Good comments!

Inspired me to show another vid. After learning to basically mount and ride I got off the 24" straight onto this

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/2956358"]learning to mount a 36er on Vimeo[/ame]

First day with the 36er. Jeez, what a surprise! Discovered the T7 handle, for me, was obstructing the mount so removed it to hold the seat handle and learn how to get on it - then re-attached the T7 once I had become consistent. Notice how I am not getting on top of the wheel - in other words not committing. Now I normally use a rolling mount to help me get onto the beast!

Comment

I think we need to get you a giraffe...
              harper
              MikeFule Seager BluntRM
              NAMASTE!
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GILD View Post
                I think we need to get you a giraffe...
                Lol I am considering getting a MUni right now but since you mention it.....giraffe?...hmmm I wonder....
                Last edited by monocyclism; 2009-07-29, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X