Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lance Armstrong... WINS!?!?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Is marijuana a performance enhancing drug for snow boarders? Or Olympic Swimming Gold Medalists?
    While you and I are having our cake-and-ice-cream party, the others are having a drink-the-blood-of-the-poor party in the back room. --[QUOTE=maestro8;1433130]

    Comment


    • #62
      I think it's enjoyable to enjoy watching professional/elite sport because it has real drama, real achievement, and at its best it is a celebration of what an individual can achieve. A top sportsman needs not only talent and fitness, but also courage, determination, commitment, and many other virtues.

      But at bottom, it's only a game. Winning a bicycle race is not an achievement in the same way as, for example, saving someone's life as a doctor on the night shift in the casualty ward.

      Sport is entertainment for those who choose to watch, in the same way as music is entertainment for those who chose to listen.

      The very sad thing about the Lance Armstrong case is that his achievements, which were in their own way, magnificent, will be for ever tainted and devalued by the fact that he cheated. I don't know if his doping added 1% or 5% to his performance, but the other 95% (or 99%) still came from hard work and determination.

      If any of us in this forum were half as fit and fast as he was, we'd be pretty pleased with ourselves.

      Setting aside that he has been stripped of his titles for cheating, it appears that the guy was a bully and a manipulator too. Someone who had the opportunity to be hugely admired has blown it. That's sad.
      My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

      Comment


      • #63
        Nice post Mike. Incredibly insightful. Every sentence a taproot into the heart of the issue from another angle.

        Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
        ... but the other 95% (or 99%) still came from hard work and determination.
        Amazing to me that he accomplished so much after nearly losing his life multiple times and found a way, against all odds, to come back and compete at a level few are gifted.

        No surprise to me that he is now defiant, resilient, unbroken, and rightly so, (after reading the testimony of the others involved) unforgiven.
        "Give someone a bike and they may travel efficiently, but teach someone to unicycle and they can feed the soul for the rest of their life."

        Comment


        • #64
          If any of us in this forum were half as fit and fast as he was, we'd be pretty pleased with ourselves.
          I'd give up a testicle to have 10% of his physical prowess.
          I dream of hamsters and elderberries

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Straightarrow View Post
            No surprise to me that he is now defiant, resilient, unbroken, and rightly so, (after reading the testimony of the others involved) unforgiven.
            Do you think a civil suit that takes his $$$ and a jail sentence with a manly cell mate won't change that?
            While you and I are having our cake-and-ice-cream party, the others are having a drink-the-blood-of-the-poor party in the back room. --[QUOTE=maestro8;1433130]

            Comment


            • #66
              The downfall of Lance is largely due to a group of people at the low end of bike racing who used the web and social media to take back the sport from dopers. Mainstream media is spineless.
              While you and I are having our cake-and-ice-cream party, the others are having a drink-the-blood-of-the-poor party in the back room. --[QUOTE=maestro8;1433130]

              Comment

              Working...
              X