Who here has read the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here has read the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

I've only read the first book for a book project but it was FREAKING good. it was so gut wrenchingly funny. Im so going to read the other 4
    [insert witty signature here]

I've read the first two... classic.

Comment

I have read the entire collection. I love both science fiction and well-done parody, so this was a big hit with me.
      New Blog:Unicycle Nation

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? ~Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Yup I've read the first 2 and they are pretty good. I didn't find them very funny though. Dont get me wrong I still liked 'em.

EDIT - yo DanDan! you have the same birthday as me! Only its one year behind mine. Happy belated birfday to you.
        Last edited by leeman180; 2005-06-15, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I've only read the first. I knew I loved it when I read the line about the ship floating in the same way that a brick does not.
          Giving a good title to a short story is like selling real estate to a small dog: it's an art unto itself, and it's completely futile, because no one reads short stories anyway, because obviously dogs have no need for real estate.

Comment

This Space Intentionally left blank

I have read all of them. They came in a book with gold edged pages. I was reading it in school one day when a teacher asked me about it. Thought I was readin the bible heh. I saw the movie too, it was decent, kinda short though.
            "Dude, I once saw a unicycle breastfeed a flamingo back to health"
            -Random drunk rantings of a drunk man

Comment

I've read the first one. it was pretty good.

Comment

I've had a fiend tell me the movie was boring.....are the books any better?
                Last edited by forrestunifreak; 2005-06-15, 04:53 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

I've read the 6 books and seen the movie. All are fabulous. I also loved the quirky lines with the ship and the brick. And the part about the whale and petunias dropping the air. Flying by throwing yourself at the ground and missing. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by forrestunifreak
                    are the books any better?
                    Rule of thumb: the book(s) is(are) always better than the movie.

In the case of HHGTG, if the books and the movie were to engage in hand-to-hand combat, the books would finish the battle swiftly, without as much as a torn page.

Seriously, the books have so much more wit and wisdom in them; the movie could not possibly do the books justice without being many, many hours long. Of course, I'd watch it nonetheless
                    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

yeah, but the ending was lame and dissapointing. well, in the tv series

Comment

Just got back from buying it at the book shop. I'm glad I waited to read the book first before seeing the movie.

Andrew

Comment

I have read all the books and seen the movie. I loved the books. I liked the movie. If I had not read the books, I think I would have found the movie somewhat boring and ridiculous.
                          Last edited by katch22; 2005-06-15, 08:59 AM.
                          -.-- --- ..- / .-- .... .- - ..--..
                          --- -. / .- / .-- .... .- - ..--..

Comment

Originally posted by PopeSamXVI
                            I knew I loved it when I read the line about the ship floating in the same way that a brick does not.
                            yes
                            that's also the point where u should actually just put the book down and walk away from it, secure in the knowledge that no good can from this
                            i say that to myself everytime i read that line
                            and i never do
                            put the book down that is
                            i've read the whole series several times
                            it just gets better

the 'Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency Series' books are also exceptionally kewl and Adams' non-fiction writing is a treat

'The Salmon of Doubt' is one of my favourite books on my bookshelf.
                            Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
                            If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
                            harper
                            MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                            NAMASTE!
                            Dave

Comment

indeedy, the salmon of doubt is a regular mover and shaker in my book collection. as is one of his lesser known books, "the unadulterated cat" If yu are cat lover (and even if you're not) you should most definately read it.

ahhh, Douglas. the world would be a much more boring place without you.

matt
                              Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Working...
                              X