"What song is it you want to hear?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GILD
    Airplane is to Starship as Bessie Smith is to Brittney Spears?
    Were those two ever in the same band?
    Tom Blackwood is like a shadowy figure behind a 36" tree...

Comment

Originally posted by tomblackwood
      Were those two ever in the same band?
      Originally posted by tomblackwood
      Let's keep the answers to bands or musicians.
      Originally posted by UniBrier
      Airplane is to Starship as "Beatle's Lucy in the Sky" is to "Captain Kirk's Lucy in the Sky"

Airplane is to Starship as Elvis is to the tacky Elvis Impersonators.

A better one:

As much as I'm not a fan of David Lee Roth: Airplane is to Starship as original Van Halen is to Sammy Van Halen.
      judging by your initial instruction and a couple of examples on this thread so far, i didn't realise they had to be

Airplane is to Starship as The Jackson 5 is to Michael Jackson?
      Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
      If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
      harper
      MikeFule Seager BluntRM
      NAMASTE!
      Dave

Comment

Airplane is to Starship as Little Feat is to Little Feat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutabaga
          Airplane is to Starship as Little Feat is to Little Feat.
          And U2 is to U2
          Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
          shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

And U2 is to U2
            a couple of nice songs on the joshua tree, but ever since reading 'The Unforgettable Fire', i've had no time for them at all
            harper
            MikeFule Seager BluntRM
            NAMASTE!
            Dave

Comment

And U2 is to U2
              UURRRMMP (the buzzer for "wrong"). U2 has never switched personnel...same folks, same vibe, same spirit but evolved. Yeah they grew up, but they're not WORSE. Spirit of latest twist on thread was: Bands that started great and turned into some pathetic offshoot not as great. Airplane to Starship. Yes to Asia. Van Halen to Sammy V Halen. Feat with Lowell George to Feat w/o Lowell George. Jackson to Jackson, although I'm not sure I buy that J5 was better than Thriller. But U2 lost nothing...they're at the top of their game; it's just a slightly different game than the one they were previously on top of.

Comment

true, i just don't like them

and was quite happy to jump on a U2 bashing-bandwagon
                i can be sooo predictable

it is a very subjective thing (alltho i defy anyone to publicly state that they prefer Starship to Airplane ), taking the U2 example to it's natural conclusion, it should be allowable to say things like Dylan is to Dylan (alltho there must still be pockets of hard-core lentil-eating folkies who think he sold out when he went electric...)
                or Bowie is to Bowie
                both of their careers have taken such massive turns, redefining the term 'reinvention', that they had to lose some fans along the way

in the spirit of the current twist to this thread, i guess those two albums the Doors did after morrisson's death might allow one to say
                The Doors to The Doors?
                Last edited by GILD; 2005-01-18, 08:28 AM.
                harper
                MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                NAMASTE!
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GILD
                  in the spirit of the current twist to this thread, i guess those two albums the Doors did after morrisson's death might allow one to say The Doors to The Doors?
                  YES!!! Harumph Harumph! WOO WOO WOO. Sub-thread wavelength now in synch .

Can't speak to Bowie v Bowie 'cause I don't listen that much. But I'll engage on Dylan any time. You can't argue early v late, because it's all just the Dylan Space Time Continuum. It all balances, even the Born Again Dylan period. Early is Big Words, simple repetitive music. Latest is Good but not quite so Big Words, and much more varied, complex music. Exhibit A: High Water and Moonlight back to back on Love and Theft. Songwriting is about both...just ask Paul Simon.

Which brings me to my next example: Airplane is to Starship as Paul Simon is to Simon and Garfunkel Reunion.

Comment

i see Engelbert Humperdinck is making a comeback...
                    harper
                    MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                    NAMASTE!
                    Dave

Comment

My U2 comment was inspired by a Mallard Fillmore comic. Their latest Vertigo is just noisy to me.

Here's a gif of the comic in case the link doesn't work.
                      Attached Files
                      Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
                      shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

Last edited by GILD; 2005-01-18, 02:15 PM.
                        harper
                        MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                        NAMASTE!
                        Dave

Comment

Alright...but if they've ALWAYS sucked, then there's still no "before and after" for the comparison.

Getting too emotionally involved in the subthread. Must retreat to headphones...

Comment

Genesis with Peter Gabriel - Genesis with Phil Collins or is it the other way around? I'm not sure which I like better, but totally different.
                            "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your mother"

Comment

New Order's 'Blue Monday' in one of the shops, that i realised which song i'd been hearing in my head
                              It still fits in a category of music that I don't really care for. Dance music has no passion and no feeling. It's a mechanical beat. Music with no passion is not worth listening to (even if it's worth dancing to).
                              If you want to hear that song with "passion" and "feeling" listen to Orgy's version.
                              "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your mother"

Comment

Originally posted by pdc
                                If you want to hear that song with "passion" and "feeling" listen to Orgy's version.
                                mmm, sounds interesting
                                i'll try n check it out next time i get to a CD shop

i do still like the original tho
                                harper
                                MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                                NAMASTE!
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X