No announcement yet.

"What song is it you want to hear?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's the '...sunshiny day...' bit that's stuck in your head, may I suggest you just go walking on sunshine to get rid of it?
    Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
    If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
    harper
    MikeFule Seager BluntRM
    NAMASTE!
    Dave

Comment

• Buck Owens died Saturday. Didn't know until I read that article in this mornings paper.

Why this thread? Like many, the first thing I think of when hearing his name is Hee Haw. But, Interesting bit of info in the article:

Owens, who died Saturday at age 76, was at his peak when he visited El Paso sometime in the late '60s or early '70s. My parents took me to the show, ...At that concert, which probably happened sometime near my 10th or 11th birthday, Owens played his hits -- Act Naturally, I've Got a Tiger by the Tail, Who's Gonna Mow Your Grass, etc. -- but it was a particularly beautiful ballad that struck me.

I asked my mom about it. She told me the song was called Bridge Over Troubled Water. Not a pop fan at the time, I had no idea that Simon & Garfunkel had originally recorded it.

Owens released his own Bridge Over Troubled Water album, and I cajoled my parents to buy it for me.

The record included two other Paul Simon songs, as well as particularly strong and moving versions of Bob Dylan's Love Minus Zero, No Limit and Donovan's Catch the Wind -- which for my money beats Donovan's original version, thanks to a chugging Farfisa organ and Rich's soaring background vocals.

In the liner notes, Owens explained that he chose those pop songs because they were really country songs in disguise. But selecting them was also one of his ways of fighting the Nashville system, which he resisted early on...

Owens didn't have a late-in-life renaissance the way Johnny Cash did, but he was just as much an original, an artist who knew that being a country musician didn't mean that you couldn't break boundaries.
      Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
      shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

• Happy 65th BD Bob.

How does it feel?
        Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
        shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

• This seems to fit here somehow.

MONTREUX, Switzerland (Reuters) -- B.B. King and his guitar Lucille, on a final tour in Europe, has bid an emotional farewell to fans at the Montreux Jazz Festival, where the "King of Blues" has performed for more than 20 years.

Now 80 and suffering from diabetes, he was joined on stage by a host of performers at the end of Monday night's concert in the resort town along Lake Geneva.
          Last edited by GILD; 2006-07-04, 03:52 PM.
          harper
          MikeFule Seager BluntRM
          NAMASTE!
          Dave

Comment

• Got my dad tickets to watch him when he came to London a few months back. I'd heard he was finally retiring.
            There are three kinds of people that no one understands: geniuses, madmen and guys that mumble.

Comment

• That makes you one of the kewlest people on my planet.
              Remind me to buy you a beer when we meet one day.
              harper
              MikeFule Seager BluntRM
              NAMASTE!
              Dave

Comment

• Beck's awesome song , Sexx Laws

that song just rocks and its great to podjuggle to too
                Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to prove it

Comment

• Oh no.

harper
                  MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                  NAMASTE!
                  Dave

Comment

• Our local Classic Rock station is playing Shine On You Crazy Diamond right now, time to turn up the radio and take a work break.

From this blog:
                    But it's endlessly fascinating to speculate what would have happened to the band had Barrett not psychedelically imploded. It's doubtful that Waters and Gilmour would have come to the fore as songwriters, so we would not have had Dark Side or The Wall or all the other Floyd landmarks in rock's geography.

But you know what? I'd trade 'em all for another few albums led by a relatively healthy Barrett. During his brief peak, he was as brilliant an innovator and songwriter (and as fascinatingly quirky a guitarist) as anyone during that most creative era. Obviously, we'll never know what he could have done. But spare a kind thought for one of the great, tragically underdeveloped talents of rock's golden era.
                    Shine On.
                    Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

Comment

• Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett (January 6, 1946 – July 7, 2006) was an English singer, songwriter, guitarist and artist.

Best remembered as one of the founding members of the group Pink Floyd, Barrett was active as a rock musician for only a few years, before mental instability forced him into seclusion. His creative legacy and quintessentially English vocal delivery have since proven remarkably influential.
                      The day after my birthday, and I didn't even hear about it until today as I was driving home from work
                      It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

"Every silver lining's got a touch of gray."

-Nude & Proud-

Comment

• Just saw this article today.

50 Conservative Rock Songs and 50 more.
                        Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by UniBrier
                          Thanks, Steve. How amusing. After doing the dirty job of defending the indolent and bashing rote obeisance I needed a good laugh.
                          Last edited by JJuggle; 2006-07-20, 07:48 PM.
                          Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                          To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Yeah, I don't even know where to start...
                            harper
                            MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                            NAMASTE!
                            Dave

Comment

• There is no Pink Floyd on the list for the top 50 or even the top 100. I guess I wouldn't make a good conservative music listener.

I rarely pay issue to the politics of a song or a band. What I care about is the music. If the music is good I'll listen unless the song is so overtly offensively political that you can't ignore the message.

And why no "In The Garden of Eden" by Iron Butterfly?
                              john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
                              Team Never Wash Your Muni
                              My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

• Originally posted by john_childs
                                And why no "In The Garden of Eden" by Iron Butterfly?
                                Yeah, and why no "Stairway to Heaven"? That's all about ascending to the glory land...I'd think the RR would be all over that, conceptually.
                                Tom Blackwood is like a shadowy figure behind a 36" tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X