Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people on Facebook unicycle chat so stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people on Facebook unicycle chat so stupid?

Short rant because I need a break from online lectures..

It feels like almost every time I go on Facebook unicycle chat, and people have questions, there is at least one person who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about answering. This is particularily bad on technical questions (but not limited to them). For most questions, there are hundreds of people on there that can give qualified help, but somehow, people that have no idea on how things work feel the need to write nonesense. Recent example: "hubs wearing out from installing the wheel backwards". People giving advice on tricks they can't do. I think they are trying to help, but if you aren't qualified, you are not helping. Instead, their plainly wrong comments are distracting from all the good advice there is. I guess Facebook as a medium rewards quantity over quality to an extreme..

To end this on a positive note: I don't agree with everything that is written on this forum, but I think everyone on here has some experience with the things they talk about, and I appreciate that.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Originally posted by finnspin View Post
    Short rant because I need a break from online lectures..

It feels like almost every time I go on Facebook unicycle chat, and people have questions, there is at least one person who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about answering. This is particularily bad on technical questions (but not limited to them). For most questions, there are hundreds of people on there that can give qualified help, but somehow, people that have no idea on how things work feel the need to write nonesense. Recent example: "hubs wearing out from installing the wheel backwards". People giving advice on tricks they can't do. I think they are trying to help, but if you aren't qualified, you are not helping. Instead, their plainly wrong comments are distracting from all the good advice there is. I guess Facebook as a medium rewards quantity over quality to an extreme..

To end this on a positive note: I don't agree with everything that is written on this forum, but I think everyone on here has some experience with the things they talk about, and I appreciate that.
    I guess there’s plenty of people putting on suggestions and the suggestions that are echoed by the majority tend to be the more useful ones, and the not so good answers may get more ignored?
    If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Comment

It's a facebook world out there... nothing is ever what they say it is.
      Facebook isn't about truth, it's about entertainment and facades... kinda like makeup and clowns.

Comment

People like to give advice ... even if they don't know it's GOOD advice.
        2016-01 started riding again at 56 after riding in my teens (and a few times here and there in between)

29" KH commuter
        24" 1970's Schwinn (parked in the garage)
        24" Torker Unistar CX
        20" Torker Unistar CX
        19" Nimbus trials

Comment

I reckon some times some people feel compelled to just open their trap and let some of their intelligence run out. Never happens on this here form — does it?

No! Never!

Well occasionally some just can’t resist.

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Mama says,
          “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Comment

I've been guilty of that on this forum...wanting to be a part of the discussion and not letting my relative lack of knowledge stop me.

I joined Facebook after some old college friends found me and encouraged me to join. That was years ago, when Facebook was brand new. It was fun at first, but within a few weeks, my online persona had turned full-asshole. I felt that all my old friends were just competing for attention, and I rose (sunk?) to the occasion by seeking negative attention. The whole experiment lasted less than a month, and I haven't been on it since.

Some newcomers on this forum have annoyed me. Lots of enthusiasm, delusions of grandeur, can't be bothered to use the search button, prolific new-thread-starters...then they're gone. The same people who, if you tell them to use the search, will complain about the hundreds of matching threads they don't have time to peruse. Hmm, why do you suppose that happens in the first place? Maybe we could assign designations to users of this forum, with "webmaster" at the top, moving all the way down to "bucket-lister" at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
            X