• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harper
    replied
    Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post

This one is for you
    So nice of you to think of me. And it's obvious what makes you think of me. The feeding was particularly funny.

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    The North Saskatchewan River on Sunday if anyone hasn't seen a river after breakup before.

https://www.facebook.com/cityofpa/vi...3031382772736/

Wouldn't want to get swept into that!

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    Originally posted by reprah View Post
    This one is for you

https://youtu.be/v5SSnQBtaq4

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    Beloved was missing some of the equipment that she used on a regular basis at the local gym. I didn't have anything like that but I did have cement, an old tent frame for handles, some peanut butter containers for forms, some 2x4s laying around, an old closet door, and some anti-slip matting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200405_134014.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2803004
    In other news there is another heavy snowfall warning today. I am really looking forward to spring.

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your daughter and son-in-law's situation. The US isn't relaxing rules and expediating employment insurance claims during the crisis? If I had to go on EI it wouldn't pay all my bills but it would sure soften the blow.

Looks like I'm going to be in pretty good shape. Talked to a co-worker this evening; She had been commandeered by the Emergency Operations Centre for at least the rest of the month. Sounds like my supervisor is already working from home as of Friday and I will do the same after I confirm with him tomorrow morning.

Also I'll be setting up two offices rather than just one as my beloved (Thanks GILD for the term!) is planning to get out of the city and move in to my place late next week to ride this thing out. We are both pretty used to living in our own spaces. It will be interesting sharing a home, work environment, and everything else while being cooped up. I'll know how serious the move is by whether or not she brings her plants.

Good luck to everyone!

Leave a comment:

• harper
    replied

I have plenty of wood, food and TP from before this all started so I should be warm, fed, and not in too shitty of a situation if it all goes south anyways.
    Hey, if it all goes south, it ends up here. Hope you end up in better shape than my daughter and son-in-law who now have no income by mandate of the state and no clear path to recompense.

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    Plenty of uncertainty is what is cracking over here.

Might be looking for another job at least temporarily. We were supposed to find out on Wednesday who was considered essential staff, but still no word. Monday new measures come in effect and I might be working out of the office like normal, I might be working from home, or I might be not working and looking for another way to get a paycheque.

If it's option three there are a couple jobs advertised right now that would definitely count as essential that I would have a good chance of getting. Another possibility is I might be temporarily laid off but be in the command staff rotation for the Incident Management Team. Personally I'm hoping for the working from home + rotation in the IMT option. I'm a bit sick of working IMTs (not sure if I have fully recovered from 2015) but when it's all hands on deck we have to use the skills we have.

I have plenty of wood, food and TP from before this all started so I should be warm, fed, and not in too shitty of a situation if it all goes south anyways.

Leave a comment:

• dan de man
    replied
    hey hey my dudes whats cracking?

Leave a comment:

• William393
    replied
    Originally posted by James_Potter View Post
    hey.

edit: NEW PAGE
    Stay awhile next time. 😃

Leave a comment:

• habbywall
    replied
    Legendary James Potter is posting. Quiet a shock to see that name again! How are you?

Leave a comment:

• James_Potter
    replied
    hey.

edit: NEW PAGE
    Last edited by James_Potter; 2019-12-05, 08:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• William393
    replied
    Originally posted by habbywall View Post
    Your grandma looks to be in very good shape for 100!

My wife and I are going to be having our first child in January.
    Congratulations!! Boy or girl!

Leave a comment:

• William393
    replied
    A friend texted me the other day to ask if I wanted to go on a two week road trip through two provinces and 18 states in February. An idea we have been kicking around for a couple years now.

With changing positions and locations twice and the slow fire season I lost my 40 hours Northern Leave, have 12 hours rather than 90 of banked OT, and have already spent some of my Vacation Leave for the year.

All that to say that when I looked at the leave calendar, and moved things around to see if I could make the trip work I ended up 4 hours short and no wiggle room for last minute plans or carry over for next year. So it's looking like no road trip.

Then...

A request has gone from Australia to Canada for Incident Management teams to help out in New South Wales, CIFFC has passed the request on to provinces looking for teams or certified team members for a deployment up to 30 days. I'm certified as a Planning Section Chief and have worked in Australia before. This would be a perfect opportunity to head back, maybe run into people I worked with over there, get paid to go somewhere warm for a month, make some extra money, generally have an awesome time, while also giving me the leave flexibility to let me go on that road trip in February using overtime that I would bank.

The problem is that I am about 2 weeks behind in my regular work and have way too much time sensitive stuff to get done to consider a month long deployment.

So the morals of the story are: If you can bank overtime, don't have it payed out when you don't need it, thinking you will re-build it because you might not...

And more importantly keep your ducks in a row at work and don't get behind if you can help it. It's easier to convince your managers to let you go fight someone else's fires if yours are under control.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about my job, it's pretty great and I'm lucky to have it. Having too many opportunities for great things is a fantastic problem to have. It would be great to do it all but then you get burnt out. Sometimes I realize that I am still recovering from the non-stop go go go of 2015.
    OR if you’re only four hours short, just exclude two of the states or one of the provinces. you could’ve made this work.

Leave a comment:

• Gockie
    replied
    A friend texted me the other day to ask if I wanted to go on a two week road trip through two provinces and 18 states in February. An idea we have been kicking around for a couple years now.

With changing positions and locations twice and the slow fire season I lost my 40 hours Northern Leave, have 12 hours rather than 90 of banked OT, and have already spent some of my Vacation Leave for the year.

All that to say that when I looked at the leave calendar, and moved things around to see if I could make the trip work I ended up 4 hours short and no wiggle room for last minute plans or carry over for next year. So it's looking like no road trip.

Then...

A request has gone from Australia to Canada for Incident Management teams to help out in New South Wales, CIFFC has passed the request on to provinces looking for teams or certified team members for a deployment up to 30 days. I'm certified as a Planning Section Chief and have worked in Australia before. This would be a perfect opportunity to head back, maybe run into people I worked with over there, get paid to go somewhere warm for a month, make some extra money, generally have an awesome time, while also giving me the leave flexibility to let me go on that road trip in February using overtime that I would bank.

The problem is that I am about 2 weeks behind in my regular work and have way too much time sensitive stuff to get done to consider a month long deployment.

So the morals of the story are: If you can bank overtime, don't have it payed out when you don't need it, thinking you will re-build it because you might not...

And more importantly keep your ducks in a row at work and don't get behind if you can help it. It's easier to convince your managers to let you go fight someone else's fires if yours are under control.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about my job, it's pretty great and I'm lucky to have it. Having too many opportunities for great things is a fantastic problem to have. It would be great to do it all but then you get burnt out. Sometimes I realize that I am still recovering from the non-stop go go go of 2015.
    Bummer. Maybe another year

My own little story. One year there was this really great airfare Sydney to Vancover via Gungzhou China that I wanted to take up. But it was the end of financial year so my manager wouldn't allow me the leave. Pity, cause it was July, the coldest time in Sydney and I'd rather be somewhere warmer. And I've still never been to Canada.

I think, take the opportunities as they arise.
    Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-30, 09:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• habbywall
    replied
    I see there is a ghost page here, ahh, brings back memories.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X