2020 - I might do a welding course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
    So playing it back, can I confirm you are saying I should also be turning the rod 90 degrees the whole time while I'm going down along the metal constantly?
    Maintain the same angle with the rod and stay in line with the direction you are moving. Just move the tip of the rod in a tiny bit back and forth sideways working along the leading edge of the puddle.

When you are just laying down a bead and not really joining anything, the area impinged by the arc might be as wide as the puddle so the sideways movement is virtually not there.

It becomes more obvious with a larger puddle where you need to move the arc back and forth sideways so you are melting a wider run. The little semicircles follow the edge of the puddle. You have probably seen them in a finished weld where the puddle advanced with each semicircle.

Imagine joining two big fat pieces of metal. To get good penetration you grind a vee most of the way to the other side along the join. The two pieces only touch for the depth the arc can penetrate. After melting this you move the arc to one side and melt that into the puddle then to the other and melt that. All the while the rod is melting and filling up the vee.

Later in you course they will explain this which is known as weaving.
    Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

Stick welding week 2, 3 passes of beads run (hope that makes sense)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...7&id=617795856
      Last edited by Gockie; 2020-02-18, 10:13 AM.
      A happy Sydneysider, will I go to the next Unicon?

Comment

Well, on Friday night after work I was riding my 5" Giraffe and I tried to dismount off the back. But.... I did a bad dismount and rolled my left ankle. I thought, ok. Next morning my foot was huge and I couldn't put any pressure on it. I ended up going to emergency at my local Hospital and later that day I ended up being operated on. A very memorable Feb 29. Yippee!

Apparently the ligament made its way into the joint that opened up and so surgery fixed everything up. My shoes weren't particularly good for unicycling. (Mary Jane shoes).

So.... I'm wearing a moon boot. I can't go to welding class now. I have to defer classes.

Along with welding, I also can't unicycle, walk, do aerial tissue, canyon, help at my local theatre, play volleyball...

I can work from bed though with my leg up. I'm spending a lot of time on calls anyway this week.

I'm going to give up the giraffe.
        Last edited by Gockie; 2020-03-03, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get more mobile soon. It sounds like the sort of thing that will take a while to get back to normal and you seem to have a lot of activities which will be curtailed.... Hopefully you can pick up on the classes next time round though.

I bought Five-Ten Impact High boots a while back to get ankle support for such things, I don't wear them all that often though, basically because they are a bit of a pain to put on. I was looking at them last night actually, your mishap might change my mind about wearing them....

Comment

Originally posted by DrD View Post
            Sorry to hear that, I hope you get more mobile soon. It sounds like the sort of thing that will take a while to get back to normal and you seem to have a lot of activities which will be curtailed.... Hopefully you can pick up on the classes next time round though.

I bought Five-Ten Impact High boots a while back to get ankle support for such things, I don't wear them all that often though, basically because they are a bit of a pain to put on. I was looking at them last night actually, your mishap might change my mind about wearing them....
            Thanks.
            I was having such a good night at unicycling practise too.
            Anyway, this helps me appreciate what difficulties people encounter when they can't use 1 of their feet.

Comment

Ankle injury?
              From my experience that happens when your feet "gets stuck" onto the pedal.
              The culprit are spikes or features on the pedal.
              If you are recovering from injury and "worried" about more "sticking" you should switch back to "smooth" pedals.
              Just be careful when things get wet.
              Ride on.
              Last edited by slamdance; 2020-03-28, 06:29 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

Originally posted by slamdance View Post
                Ankle injury?
                From my experience that happens when your feet "gets stuck" onto the pedal.
                The culprit are spikes or features on the pedal.
                If you are recovering from injury and "worried" about more "sticking" you should switch back to "smooth" pedals.
                Just be careful when things get wet.
                Ride on.
                It was a bad dismount off the giraffe, Just when my feet hit the ground, I realised my left foot landed more on it’s side than it’s bottom.
                Nothing to do with the pedals.

Comment

Working...
                X