X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
    Thank you for the hint!

Done
    Thanks, Eric. Perhaps you will get more upgrade input now.

Edit: Oh, I see that the time you have to edit a post has increased. That's handy.
    Last edited by harper; 2020-02-27, 07:37 PM.
    -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
      The link button doesn't seem to provide a method for entering link text; instead, it shows the complete url. I don't yet know the workaround for that!
      Type your text, highlight it, hit the link button and then it will convert your text into a link.

Einradfahren in Sachsen:
      einradsachsen.com
      f/EinradSachsen
      07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

Good job guys, updating this pretty old code must have been quite something...
        Question: the old layout had a drop down menu at the bottom of each forum section, allowing to quickly jump from one sub-forum to another, without having to navigate back to the home page. Does it exist in the new layout? If so, where is it or could it be activated?

Comment

Oh, the "Last post" on the main page doesn't actually show the newest post for me (shows an older one as the newest), at least in the "General Unicycling Discussion" section.
          In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

Same for me ...
            Einradfahren in Sachsen:
            einradsachsen.com
            f/EinradSachsen

Comment

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
              Type your text, highlight it, hit the link button and then it will convert your text into a link.
              This didn't quite work for me, Eric. It produced a link, but didn't convert the high-lighted text to that link. I high-lighted the text, hit the link button, and then pasted the link info into the field provided. Then I submitted the post.

Look at my "Test link" thread in the "Test" forum. That's what I got.
              Last edited by harper; 2020-02-28, 05:40 PM.
              -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

That's strange, because this is exactly what works for me.
                Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                einradsachsen.com
                f/EinradSachsen

Comment

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
                  BHChieftain would like a password reset for his account sent to his email please.
                  I contacted him:
                  Hi Eric,
                  I have tried that multiple times over the past several days [...]. The issue is I never receive an email back. I have checked my spam folder as well,
                  Thanks,
                  [...]
                  "BHChieftain""
                  I have no idea how to help him. And i start to believe, that he may not be the only one with this problem...
                  Gilby?
                  Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                  einradsachsen.com
                  f/EinradSachsen

Comment

I don't know if it's just me but the threads are not updating when I open the forum to the home page, so if I open the forum on the home page it doesn't show the latest post. it updates when I choose a forum. like if I choose general discussions when that opens then the threads will update. But when I leave that and go back to the home page it goes back and still doesn't show the latest post

ok this seems to be working now

it looks like our signatures are not showing in our post like before
                    24" Torker LX
                    29" UDC Trainer
                    32" UDC trainer

Comment

The "login or sign up" button still appears on the home page when I'm already connected, plus it shows a blank popup when clicked:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	4.4 KB ID:	2802458
                      That's just a cosmetic annoyance, since I'm logged in and I can use the forum as usual. I'm using Chrome.
                      Last edited by Canapin; 2020-02-29, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Private Messages do not work:
                        Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                        einradsachsen.com
                        f/EinradSachsen

Comment

Smileys also don't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	121
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2802467

Comment

Not a fan of all the reductions:
                            - the avatar images reduced by half (yet there's plenty of room in that grey rectangle), making some of them hard to figure;
                            - the smaller font forcing me to squint or get closer to the screen, both hurting my eyes;
                            - 40% or so of my screen width that is now useless (seems to be a trend, looks 'modern').
                            If everything seems small to you, you can zoom in the page directly from your browser, everything, avatars and font size, will go bigger,
                            As for the screen width, I guess it has something to do with text readability. Texts as wide as your computer screen, especially in this era where a lot of people have wide screens, might be uncomfortable to read.

I personally feel that way. so I like a limited width.

But since we're discussing the forum ergonomy, I think that 10+ years before, forums and blog engines were full of features because they wanted to show people that you can do everything on the internet and allow users to express themselves the way they wanted. They had to have a lot of features and a lot of displayed information. More was better. If you had less information and customizations/features than your rival software, then you'd appear not as good.

"Modern" software seems to focus on clarity, simplicity, and accessibility, but forum engines from the old era like phpBB and VBulletin are bloated with information and features of questionable usefulness.
                            A page will be easier to read and a message easier to compose it what we are seeing isn't surrounded by dispensable information.

A single example:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	126
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2802469
                            On a platform where we just share messages, experiences and opinions, do we really need more than 15 fields and buttons just to display an image?

Still, moving from an old phpBB to new VBulletin is for sure an enhancement and the main issues with the old engine (no smartphone design, difficult to insert images…) were fixed thanks to this.
                            If some customizations lead to even better readability in the future, that would be even neater.
                            Thanks Gilby for the update, I'm sure it has been difficult work with a lot of issues as it often is with software and programming…

Comment

Originally posted by Canapin View Post
                              If everything seems small to you, you can zoom in the page directly from your browser, everything, avatars and font size, will go bigger
                              Really?
                              All the other places I visit regularly - forums or others - are fine. If I need to zoom in only here, maybe the problem is not on my side.
                              Just to be clear: things do not 'seem small to me', they are objectively smaller than they were before the upgrade.

Comment

I didn't say the opposite, I just provide a client-side workaround.
                                Last edited by Canapin; 2020-03-03, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X