Clear All

• Gockie
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
    Today's work:
    - ban over 30 spammers
    - delete way over 1.000 spam threads, posts an messages

biggest finds:
    - user with ~530 spam threads (and same number of posts)
    - user with ~500 spam posts in ~300 spam threads
    - user with ~300 spam threads (and same number of posts)

Oh wow. Thanks for moderating Eric and Gilby. Must be a better way....
    Last edited by Gockie; 2019-08-29, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric aus Chemnitz
    replied
    havin' fun ...

Today's work:
    - ban over 30 spammers
    - delete way over 1.000 spam threads, posts an messages

biggest finds:
    - user with ~530 spam threads (and same number of posts)
    - user with ~500 spam posts in ~300 spam threads
    - user with ~300 spam threads (and same number of posts)

Leave a comment:

• Gilby
    replied
    It'll probably done through manual database queries.

Leave a comment:

• Eric aus Chemnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilby View Post
    The majority of spam though is still going to be new members creating accounts, never posting, but putting links in their signature or about me section which shows up on their member profile page. Done for SEO purposes. [...] Also can look into removing accounts with no posts.
    I tried to search for accounts like that but can't find accounts with 0 posts with any of our searches. For new ones, I recognize the ones putting the links in private messages (mostly on their own profile) and ban them, but can't figure out how to find and ban the others.

Btw, it is real fun, to see some 0-post-users i banned weeks ago return every few days, trying to create new threads or post and then getting 'access denied'. These must be bots. No human can be so stupid to try it again day after day ...

Leave a comment:

• Siddhartha Valmont
    replied
    +1 on the DB fiw.

Thanks for working backstage to keep the show running.

Leave a comment:

• battleshiplinoleum
    replied
    Yeah, big thanks to Eric for helping out and Gilby for integrating Eric!

I add another point to my list of annoyances:
    • sometimes one gets logged out unexpectedly and repeatedly - especially when coming back to "not-logged-in-yet" browser tabs and also due to short time-out or some other not too obvious reason

Also congratulations for fixing the database connection, Gilby!

Leave a comment:

• Gilby
    replied
    Thanks for helping clean up the forums Eric!

This mornings influx of spam is likely the result of a bot figuring out what the answer to the human verification question is, so they can now automate the process. I changed the question to "What does a unicycle only have one of?" We'll see if that slows down the spam. The majority of spam though is still going to be new members creating accounts, never posting, but putting links in their signature or about me section which shows up on their member profile page. Done for SEO purposes. When I upgrade the site, those will use nofollow links, and maybe I can make it be required to be logged in to see the profile pages. Also can look into removing accounts with no posts.

Leave a comment:

• Eric aus Chemnitz
    replied
    Just to show you what i see:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Spam.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2461675
    These are all edited Threads in 24h of unicyclist.com. All the yellow marked are Spam. But this view doesn't even show spam posts inside non-spam threads and spam visitor messages.
    At the moment we have over 16.000 banned spam accounts in our database that registered here over the years.
    There are whole spam armys aout there. So please be forgiving if your posts are not valuated within minutes ...

Leave a comment:

• battleshiplinoleum
    replied
    I've posted another comment on that thread on 2019-07-11 that didn't get published (yet). (my 2nd comment in that thread)

Is my comment still in the moderation queue or did it get deleted?

Should I post it again? Is there any way I can see what happened to the held-back comment(s) I wrote?

Leave a comment:

• battleshiplinoleum
    replied
    @Gilby:

It appears you are currently the only moderator of these forums. Are you?

Have you though delegating moderation to a few members of this active community?

I'm sure there are some who are willing to help and capable. Less work for you and shorter reaction times for the users - sounds compelling, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Gilby
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Edit: of course it happened just now the first time, that my post was published instantly without moderator approval. Very well.
    You are now past the threshold and all your posts will go through instantly.

Leave a comment:

• Stagehand
    replied
    Originally posted by BruceC View Post
    No, actually thank you for all your efforts for what must be a thankless task... that needs more thank you's.

Hear Hear!!

Leave a comment:

• BruceC
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilby View Post
    My apologies for the issues you've had. Of the 138 new registrations in the last 24 hours that this site has had, only one of them I can identify as being a legitimate registration. All the others are likely spammers.
    Thanks for the extra push to get this all done.
    No, actually thank you for all your efforts for what must be a thankless task... that needs more thank you's.

Leave a comment:

• SteveO
    replied
    Thanks for the quick reply, Gilby, also for sharing some details about the spam-fighting/moderation system and especially what it currently takes to get fully approved as new user!

Also good that you ask for using the Report Post button. I would not have noticed it or assumed it was in use. That's the button, we are talking about.

Wow, that's a lot a spamming attempts. You are welcome for the push. Good luck with migration to a new server and system maybe. Thanks so far for keeping up this service!

Edit: of course it happened just now the first time, that my post was published instantly without moderator approval. Very well.
    Last edited by SteveO; 2019-06-20, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gilby
    replied
    My apologies for the issues you've had. Of the 138 new registrations in the last 24 hours that this site has had, only one of them I can identify as being a legitimate registration. All the others are likely spammers.

We have to send all the posts from users that only have a few posts through a spam service to help us determine if it's spam or not.

Yes, I need to upgrade this site, and I might not upgrade it to the latest vbulletin code, since it doesn't appear to have what we need to combat spam. It is the biggest issue to deal with in operating this site, in my opinion, since I have to deal with it every day I can, but I have a life and can't attend to it every single day.

I am looking at invisionboard as an option, which apparently has a better community-based spam filter where I can be offline for days and not have to worry about making sure spam is banned, and legitimate users get their posts through. I don't want to be the only person that looks it up every day I can (which is not good on those weekends or other days I want to be offline), so a community system would be preferred.

For those that have less than about 15 posts, all your posts get processed through the spam service we use. In your case, it does seem to be a bit more than normal, and I don't notice your posts made in the threads that have many posts like you posted in. I can only guess that your ISP has a bad reputation, or maybe you are just on a network that is commonly abused and therefore the spam filters caught your posts in our moderators queue.

As for spam that gets published. Please click the report link so we can quickly delete all these of spammer's posts.

Regarding the database error. I'm aware of it and know it's an issue. I will move the database to a different server in the next couple days, which should alleviate that issue.

Thanks for the extra push to get this all done.
    Last edited by Gilby; 2019-06-20, 05:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X