Moderator approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gilby View Post
    The majority of spam though is still going to be new members creating accounts, never posting, but putting links in their signature or about me section which shows up on their member profile page. Done for SEO purposes. [...] Also can look into removing accounts with no posts.
    I tried to search for accounts like that but can't find accounts with 0 posts with any of our searches. For new ones, I recognize the ones putting the links in private messages (mostly on their own profile) and ban them, but can't figure out how to find and ban the others.

Btw, it is real fun, to see some 0-post-users i banned weeks ago return every few days, trying to create new threads or post and then getting 'access denied'. These must be bots. No human can be so stupid to try it again day after day ...
    Einradfahren in Sachsen:
    einradsachsen.com
    f/EinradSachsen
    07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

It'll probably done through manual database queries.
      Gilby

Comment

havin' fun ...

Today's work:
        - ban over 30 spammers
        - delete way over 1.000 spam threads, posts an messages

biggest finds:
        - user with ~530 spam threads (and same number of posts)
        - user with ~500 spam posts in ~300 spam threads
        - user with ~300 spam threads (and same number of posts)

Einradfahren in Sachsen:
        einradsachsen.com
        f/EinradSachsen
        07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
          Today's work:
          - ban over 30 spammers
          - delete way over 1.000 spam threads, posts an messages

biggest finds:
          - user with ~530 spam threads (and same number of posts)
          - user with ~500 spam posts in ~300 spam threads
          - user with ~300 spam threads (and same number of posts)

Oh wow. Thanks for moderating Eric and Gilby. Must be a better way....
          Last edited by Gockie; 2019-08-29, 10:49 AM.
          A happy Sydneysider, will I go to the next Unicon?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilby View Post
            Thanks for helping clean up the forums Eric!

This mornings influx of spam is likely the result of a bot figuring out what the answer to the human verification question is, so they can now automate the process. I changed the question to "What does a unicycle only have one of?" We'll see if that slows down the spam. The majority of spam though is still going to be new members creating accounts, never posting, but putting links in their signature or about me section which shows up on their member profile page. Done for SEO purposes. When I upgrade the site, those will use nofollow links, and maybe I can make it be required to be logged in to see the profile pages. Also can look into removing accounts with no posts.
            On a chess site I use they have a chess position asking the user to find the checkmate in one move. The diagram changes for each post which seems to be a good way of blocking spammers.
            Last edited by unibokk; 2020-07-01, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unibokk View Post

On a chess site I use they have a chess position asking the user to find the checkmate in one move. The diagram changes for each post which seems to be a good way of blocking spammers.
              A while ago, there was a couple of simple questions to help with that and some users ended up making a thread about the answers... Anyway, spambots are a pain especially for the limited benefit they might provide to the people running them (or at least have a horrendous efficiency ratio).

Going for chess would be very efficient (as long as nobody compiles the list of answers in a thread) but it may reduce the number of posts drastically (as we may not be all chess masters ^_^)
              => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
              => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

Working...
              X